New to bonsai.

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello, I joined this forum because I will be adopting a bonsai after this winter and also have a few jade plants I have considered training but don't really know where to start. Hopefully by the time I get my first bonsai ill have a better understanding and be able to keep it alive and well.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

Do you know what species you're adopting? Also, can you fill out your profile so that we know where you live?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to the forum! Best first advice I can give you is to not expect to keep it as an inside plant. There are a very few tropicals that can be kept inside with a bit of care on the setup. And even these appreciate being outside in the summer. So if you have your heart set on an inside tree, don't get a maple, or juniper!;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome.

My advice is to learn what will survive in your area and to read as much as you can from books and online forums. Join a club if you can find one near you. Like Judy said, make sure you have the ability to provide whatever species you choose to grow the things it needs. Outside/inside; winter protection, the proper level of sun or shade. You must learn to keep things alive before you can learn to make them into a bonsai. You have to learn the correct timing of things or you will have trouble keeping things alive.

Realize that this is not an instant gratification hobby. You will need patience and self control. It takes many, many, many years to learn and even more to master. Trees grow in periods of season and years not weeks and months. You also need to be able to commit the time it takes to diligently care for your trees. That means checking them almost every day for water, bugs, disease.

Do some research and ask questions. There are many good people here willing help if you get stuck. Good luck!

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't pay any attention to JudyB, she is one of them durn Buckeyes !

ed

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow thank you all. I live in olympia wa. I will update my profile immediately. Thanks for all the advise. The tree ill be a adopting will be a northwest native of my choice, (the owner has many species) but I have not yet chosen. I realize they need a lot of attention and care and I am willing to do so

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
welcome neighbor

If this group of bonsai nut members seems friendly to you, wait till you contact and become a member of your local club.
Olympia Bonsai Club Website
Rep: Jim Dunlap (360)754-1786 E-mail: JDunlap106@aol.com

I'm an hr to your north, a member of Puget Sound. If you ever want a personal tour of the weyerhaeuser pacific rim bonsai display garden in federal way (bout an hr's drive N or I-5)
PM me and I'll take you around.

welcome (merry Christmas)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck on your bonsai journey and Merry Christmas.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Furthermore I'm already jealous of you ;) I want to move to the west coast so badly so often! And no one ever invited me on a private tour when I joined up here. You have a lot of great bonsai around you, take advantage of experience and save yourself years of trial and error.

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If this group of bonsai nut members seems friendly to you, wait till you contact and become a member of your local club.
Olympia Bonsai Club Website
Rep: Jim Dunlap (360)754-1786 E-mail: JDunlap106@aol.com

I'm an hr to your north, a member of Puget Sound. If you ever want a personal tour of the weyerhaeuser pacific rim bonsai display garden in federal way (bout an hr's drive N or I-5)
PM me and I'll take you around.

welcome (merry Christmas)

Thank you and merry christmas to you as well. I'd love to go check that out a maybe in the spring ill definately pm you when I'm ready. The person ill be getting my tree from is a member of this club I think. Thanks for the tour offer, ill be taking you up on that.

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello and welcome. Furthermore I'm already jealous of you ;) I want to move to the west coast so badly so often! And no one ever invited me on a private tour when I joined up here. You have a lot of great bonsai around you, take advantage of experience and save yourself years of trial and error.

Thanks, I love where I live. Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to one of the most exhilarating forms of art. I encourage you to do bonsai to learn bonsai. I read many books and hung around many forums but what provided me the most tutelage was actually taking the art on. Join a club, talk to People, take classes...Don't go out and buy anything overly expensive. Crawl before you walk... Ask questions as you go and most importantly adapt...

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the forum and the addiction.
Glad to see another PNWester' here. We have a great climate and many local species to work with.
Good luck.
Cheers
from the great white north.
Graham

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the forum and the addiction.
Glad to see another PNWester' here. We have a great climate and many local species to work with.
Good luck.
Cheers
from the great white north.
Graham

Thank you very much Graham I dont know a lot about the trees of the great northwest, beside the fact that I have recently gained a lot of interest in growing them in pots. I can identify some by common name as of now but im learning fast. I hope you dont mind me asking all of you for tons of advice... im full of questions with a hunger for knowledge. I have photographed all of the bonsai my friend has (one of which will be the aforementioned gift) I will do my best to post these today. I have also posted a picture of the jade plant I'd like to start working on in the misc. Area of the forum. If anyone has any styling ideas, tips, advice, criticism please feel free to let me know.

Top Bottom