New to the world of bonsai! First azalea

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Don't rule out rhododendron fastigiatum. It like TX Ebony, is knees and ankles smaller than all of its kin.

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its not quite like clubbing baby seal, but not that far from it. You have not listed where you are growing. So a cold house of some kind is probably worth looking forward to. Yes, northern hearty azalea can survive -10F, but they will be a lot happier stored at 32F.

Not this spring, but next spring when you repot, comb out the surface roots and thinly recover them. This will encourage their thickening.

I updated my location in central PA, specifically zone 6a apparently. Maybe I'll put it in a large pot and grow it as suggested. I do worry it's a bit too cold outside for it.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do worry it's a bit too cold outside for it.

Don't worry with that, azalea have to be outside and I'm sure it's already nice and warm where you live (at least nicer and warmer than here :mad:).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I updated my location in central PA, specifically zone 6a apparently. Maybe I'll put it in a large pot and grow it as suggested. I do worry it's a bit too cold outside for it.
First rule of bonsai, putting them in a pot doesn't make them houseplants. The majority of the species used for bonsai (that aren't tropical species) actually REQUIRE cold to stay healthy

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First rule of bonsai, putting them in a pot doesn't make them houseplants. The majority of the species used for bonsai (that aren't tropical species) actually REQUIRE cold to stay healthy

I know a lot of bonsai need dormancy periods hence putting them outside. We have had an incredible mild winter this year(60degree on Christmass!) but the year previous in central PA we got down into -30 most of the winter.
So as a rule of thumb for azaleas once it drops below -10 might be time to bring it in to a cold room?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know a lot of bonsai need dormancy periods hence putting them outside. We have had an incredible mild winter this year(60degree on Christmass!) but the year previous in central PA we got down into -30 most of the winter.
So as a rule of thumb for azaleas once it drops below -10 might be time to bring it in to a cold room?
I don't know where in Penn. it stays at minus 30 F for most of the winter, If I were you, I'd move. ;-)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, I have seemed to get that point. I may stop at my local nursery and see what I can find. And maybe keep this one as a house plant. But I'm determined to start an azalea bonsai!

Get a decent size pot, between one and two gallons. Carefully slip pot it into it not disturbing the roots. Use a rich Premium topsoil mixed 50/50 with coarse sand(Sakrete all purpose or similar). It is not a house plant - outside in filtered sun ALWAYS. Do all that sooner rather then later as we are very close to not seeing anymore frost. That's what will work where we live - enjoy!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know where in Penn. it stays at minus 30 F for most of the winter, If I were you, I'd move. ;-)

Pretty certain he meant 30F as it was mild like this past Winter. It has more then likely never been -30 at Penn State and if it was it was a short record like an overnight. I drive there on occasion, Agri Center, Natures Way and Camp nearby. Actually camp in the Winter as it is pretty mild.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh believe me, once I've done with college here in Penn State, I will be.

Just one more year...
I kind of meant that those kinds of sustained low temps are mostly native to the arctic. I doubt most of the winter in your was below zero Fahrenheit. It's not that cold in February in Nome Alaska. USDA growing zone map show your climate is the same zone as mine is here in Va.--7a.
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#
I am able to keep many species of trees outside all year by protecting their roots in the winter. Those species include satsuki azalea.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am able to keep many species of trees outside all year by protecting their roots in the winter. Those species include satsuki azalea.

Yes he is in a decent climate for outdoor storage, actually a bit warmer then my place. The record coldest month there recorded so far was 20F and as Winters go not bad in our parts. Our place has never been that cold but I am close enough to frequent that area. Thanks for the reminder - me and the Wife are going near there Saturday for a few day rest in the Pocono Mountains, going to have to see how close it is to Natures Way, perhaps a day outing :p

Grimmy

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty certain he meant 30F as it was mild like this past Winter. It has more then likely never been -30 at Penn State and if it was it was a short record like an overnight. I drive there on occasion, Agri Center, Natures Way and Camp nearby. Actually camp in the Winter as it is pretty mild.

Grimmy
That was an error on my part, -30 f no, we would dip into the low -5 to -10 in January/February last year. But had some pretty bad winds, our real feel was brutal, it did end up killing three of our pines.image.png

Edit: I don't know why I felt like I was coming off rude, I'm sorry if it seemed that way! It's just if I really get into bonsai then I'd really like to keep my trees alive.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But had some pretty bad winds, our real feel was brutal, it did end up killing three of our pines.

I live a couple hours away towards the Shore so it is a bit milder BUT those winds are what hurts us all when it gets frigid. Next Fall PM me far some inexpensive and smart ways to wind protect your outdoor potted stuff and you will be amazed at the difference. I didn't think you came off rude, just so you know.

Grimmy

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was an error on my part, -30 f no, we would dip into the low -5 to -10 in January/February last year. But had some pretty bad winds, our real feel was brutal, it did end up killing three of our pines.View attachment 101186

Edit: I don't know why I felt like I was coming off rude, I'm sorry if it seemed that way! It's just if I really get into bonsai then I'd really like to keep my trees alive.

Don't worry this forum is full of Nuts that's why we love it! :)

For the 'not killing trees' I understand the feeling but you'll have to learn, if you really get into bonsai, that you will.
:)

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For the 'not killing trees' I understand the feeling but you'll have to learn, if you really get into bonsai, that you will.
:)

I figured as much! I've killed my share of plants and even a cacti or two.

Other than an azalea what would be a good beginner tree to bonsai?

Top Bottom