New Walnut Tree

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just bought a new Walnut tree ( single stem about 1 metre tall ) got a few bud coming out . I would like to make a bonsai tree out of this . We starting spring, should I trim this up and put it into a colander ?
I'm limited to the amount of space in my garden , so I don't want to plant in my existing plot ( no space )

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A difficult tree choice, and one that I doubt many have used so it will be hard getting advice from many who are experienced with it.
what walnut species is it?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As we've said before, Walnut make miserable bonsai. Compound leaves, difficult, coarse branching habits which make it necessary to use extremely large collected trees as a base. Compound leaves are very hard to reduce being made up of individual leaflets. The tree doesn't make compact ramification, with mostly awkward, long sections between leaves and individual branches.

This tree isn't an ideal candidate for a small space because of the reasons above. In a colander, you're looking at around ten years just allowing it to grow. If your sapling is thin, you're going to have issues with structural support of leaves and branching, let alone any actual walnuts it may produce. The weight may bend the trunk over...pics would help.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Walnuts are great trees so many uses unfortunately bonsai is not one of them, they don't work well as bonsai for the myriad of reasons stated above.

I have added some of the things you can do with them below.

pickled walnut recipe http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11737/pickled-walnuts.aspx

Walnut liquor recipe https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nocino/

walnut wood stain recipe https://www.acepaintsfurniture.com/you-can-make-homemade-stain-using-walnuts

walnut & coffee cake recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coffeeandwalnutcake_87248

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We don't get Black Walnuts in New Zealand . Just have to go with what I got .
Thanks for the information

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We don't get Black Walnuts in New Zealand . Just have to go with what I got .
Thanks for the information
This was a polite reply.

the sake of inclusiveness and transparency there too is not simply Juggalo, also Juggelette or Juggala & many other folks that comprise the ICP culture and communities.

I am not familiar with J. regia, though I do have a sycamore and still a few erc which indeed are rightfully criticized (was not my goal), sometimes with brutality. And, there they are, perhaps fewer, still kept and loved

The species is apparently around the states and probably have seen one and didn’t know it. Looked into a bunch of descriptions and it seems that J. regia has around a 10-16”(?) compound leaf (having not experienced in the wild), rather than 3’. This is significantly reduced from how big a black walnut leaf can be, though regardless the petiole is maybe an issue.
Notwithstanding, I would take heed of @rockm regarding your goals. Know a challenge likely without checkered flags😂. You have to Juglans, be down with the brown.

Ash and Sumac? Guess so

I read you can make tea with the leaves of J. regia

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks TN_jim your wisdom is appreciated . I'm going to leave the Walnut tree for now ( and wait until it gets bigger ) onto my next project - just bought an Almond tree ( which I just tried my first air layer etc...)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Almonds, Prunus dulcis, are a better choice than walnuts. Still, they look best when the finished tree is 0.6 to 1.5 meters in height or width. The flowers are lovely, most famous almonds are gnarly trunks displayed in bloom before leaves have fully expanded. In many ways similar to Prunus mume, except in P. mume the flowers come before the leaves. With almond, P. dulcis the flowers and leaves come about the same time, flowers open before leaves are fully expanded. Much like peach or apricot. (close relatives).

There are no fixed "rules", if you want to make your almond smaller, or larger, go ahead. But the half meter and up size will pose fewer problems for you.

Top Bottom