Newbie--help me with my indoor grow setup please!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
do you guys think I can make the elms work in this planting style
Long answer is "no"

Appears the consensus is 1+1=2, but you want to hear 1+1=11 and for someone to tell you that

Guess the only thing to do now is go forward with the project and learn from it.

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
Long answer is "no"

Appears the consensus is 1+1=2, but you want to hear 1+1=11 and for someone to tell you that

Guess the only thing to do now is go forward with the project and learn from it.
In what way did you think I am expecting to hear a certain answer? I asked a yes or no question. Your consensus is no and I accept that? I'm not trying to fight any answers from anyone here. I'm trying to make the best of a situation I'm already in and I dont know how many more times I have to explain that. I can't care for them properly if I leave them outside and I don't want to have bonsai trees I have to care for outside on my porch. I can't return them. I can't go drop another $100 on 6 of a different species and then have 12 trees to care for. My only option is to care for them as best as I can with how I have them set up inside, and plant them in my paludarium in a way that will give them the best chance. that is the help I'm trying to seek out...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would they be better off if I unpotted all of them in the next week or two, and planted them all in akadama in the grow tub until November? I could try and find a bulk bag of akadama online and make it about 4-5 in deep in the grow tub. I already upped the photoperiod to 13 hrs of lights on, and bought a desk fan to provide them constant air flow.

Here's the most details I can provide for my twinstar light
  • LED Source: RGB-W
  • LED Qty: White: 70 pcs / RGB: 104 pcs
  • Color Temperature: 6500K
  • Lumens: 3750lm
  • Power Consumption: 60watts
  • Operating Voltage and Current: 12V/5.0A
  • Input Voltage: AC 110 ~ 240V, 50/60Hz
  • LED Life Span: 30,000 hrs *Subject to the operating environment

I would wait until you are ready to plant them in your setup. Transplanting them now and again in November will probably be something they won't tolerate well

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plugged it into a calculator and 3750 lumens over 5 square ft (36"x18") is a bit over 8k lux/800 footcandles. This is pretty low for a plant that can take full sun outside so I would try to place the light as close as possible to the trees without compromising the rest of the setup.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In what way did you think I am expecting to hear a certain answer?
From the very first response to now, 4 pages later to your op people been telling you elms don't play inside. But you kept saying Eastern Leaf says it can grow inside. Sorta implying you didn't like the answers given to you. But I tjink you misunderstood Eastern Leaf.

The wording is deceptive though ain't it? Says in plain site "with sufficient natural lighting". Most likely referring to a greenhouse where the ceiling is transparent for sun to shine thru.

But I did give you a simple rundown on what you'll need to have them survive a little longer on post #21.

Ligthing is your biggest hurdle. Even then, the environment most likely won't be optimal as you most likely don't have all the equipment to control the environment. Read post #21.

So my opinion on your question of how you can give them the best chance at survival is; there is no chance.

They might not die tomorrow, or next week. But they will die unfortunately

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Aquaticjade I'm glad you’re still here! As long as your indoor set up has light, warmth, humidity, and air flow - and you follow basic bonsai care fundamentals, you have done your part.
Ultimately, if they live then that’s awesome! But if not, you learn and hopefully keep trying.

Also you should get more trees! Grab a ficus! Or several! The more trees you have the more you learn! Try different species, different cultivars, etc. And do you!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm all about the experimenting. I want to see what she does and how the trees do.

Let's stop with the, "it'll never work," crap.
She's literally bought in as far as she can go. Like she said, let's do what we can with what she's got. If she can find a way to manage it, we'll all learn allot, and get to see a cool project come to fruition.
If it doesn't work, we get to see more cool project.

Who's in to donate some shady tropicals if these elms don't work out?
I got some ficus benjamina if I can find a place inside before the weather turns.

We're gonna make this bitch's dreams come true, one way or another.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
and you follow basic bonsai care fundamentals
That's leading her in the wrong direction. This thread has nothing to do with bonsai. Just basic horticulture, or in this case sorta hydroponic.

If I read the plan correctly, the trees are sustained by the water in the terrarium.

There's reasons why people who've been doing plant things for many many years don't grow elms, among other trees, indoors lol.

knowing the truth will make the outcome less painful.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's leading her in the wrong direction.
I wasn’t commenting on this person’s plan.
I said “As long as your indoor set up has light, warmth, humidity, and air flow - and you follow basic bonsai care fundamentals, you have done your part.” Very simple statement - not leading anyone in a wrong direction.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's been said.
It's been acknowledged.
It changes nothing of the OP's current situation.
It is what it is.

If you're not down for doing the impossible, you're in the wrong thread.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
and you follow basic bonsai care fundamentals
Why the need to follow basic bonsai fundamentals?? This thread has nothing to do with bonsai at all.

If you're not down for doing the impossible, you're in the wrong thread.
LOL just dishing out the truth, served fresh.

AKA reality

as stated: knowing the truth will make the outcome less painful.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have my doubts about the success of this myself. However agree with Shady that she's into this project with no other way to go at this point so she might as well try it. If it doesn't work then she can try with another species. I'd recommend willow leaf ficus

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm all about the experimenting. I want to see what she does and how the trees do.

She's literally bought in as far as she can go. Like she said, let's do what we can with what she's got. If she can find a way to manage it, we'll all learn allot, and get to see a cool project come to fruition.
If it doesn't work, we get to see more cool project.

Who's in to donate some shady tropicals if these elms don't work out?
I got some ficus benjamina if I can find a place inside before the weather turns.

We're gonna make this bitch's dreams come true, one way or another.
You are my hero LOL. Thank you for understanding where I'm trying to come from here. I don't know how many more times I have to say that I can't afford to just toss these trees away and buy more. I'm upset that I was a newbie that was mislead by Eastern leafs description of my trees. But, luckily if I can make the trees last until November I will use them. If they die in the paludarium it won't be hard to dig them out and try something else. Out of curiosity what you do guys think of asu's use of fraxinus griffithii? I'm surprised no one had anything to note on that. I can't find a lot of info on that plant other than the fact that it's a legit tree. He seems to have success with using those with regular aquarium lighting

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
I have my doubts about the success of this myself. However agree with Shady that she's into this project with no other way to go at this point so she might as well try it. If it doesn't work then she can try with another species. I'd recommend willow leaf ficus
Thank you for understanding! I'm not trying to ignore anyone's extremely helpful advice. I'm simply grateful so many people are even commenting on this thread! I'm learning so much. It's unfortunate that my trees probably won't work, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep them as well as I can for as long as I can. At that point I will try some ficus trees instead because I'm still continuing with my project one way or another!

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
Plugged it into a calculator and 3750 lumens over 5 square ft (36"x18") is a bit over 8k lux/800 footcandles. This is pretty low for a plant that can take full sun outside so I would try to place the light as close as possible to the trees without compromising the rest of the setup.
I can take the legs off the light and bring them about 5 inches closer to the trees so it's right ontop of them. I was worried because Eastern leaf said these need filtered light, too much direct light can cause leaf burn, that's why I asked in the original post if my trees had leaf burn and was concerned about the light scorching them. But I didn't realize how "weak" my light was in comparison to natural lighting.

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
I would wait until you are ready to plant them in your setup. Transplanting them now and again in November will probably be something they won't tolerate well
Thank you! I'm worried the root mass is really compacted. The soil itself is kind of the texture of potting soil? It's packed pretty tight to where I really had to shove the chopsticks in there. Not sure if that's going to be an issue (drainiage)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you! I'm worried the root mass is really compacted. The soil itself is kind of the texture of potting soil? It's packed pretty tight to where I really had to shove the chopsticks in there. Not sure if that's going to be an issue (drainiage)

As long as the soil is draining now, I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't, take a screwdriver and poke holes gently into the soil. That will help water permeate

Aquaticjade

Sapling
Reaction score
As long as the soil is draining now, I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't, take a screwdriver and poke holes gently into the soil. That will help water permeate
I'm using a hairdresser mister bottle to water them, the chopstick was dry on 3 trees so I misted the soil until water started to drip from the bottom drainage holes so I think that means it's draining okay if I can get water from the bottom. Other than that if the chopsticks are damp I just mist the leaves daily.

Should I remove the pebbles and water? Do the elms need a "humidity tray"? I noticed what looks like mold starting to grow on the soil of one pot. I'm assuming that's because of the lack of airflow?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm using a hairdresser mister bottle to water them, the chopstick was dry on 3 trees so I misted the soil until water started to drip from the bottom drainage holes so I think that means it's draining okay if I can get water from the bottom. Other than that if the chopsticks are damp I just mist the leaves daily.

Should I remove the pebbles and water? Do the elms need a "humidity tray"? I noticed what looks like mold starting to grow on the soil of one pot. I'm assuming that's because of the lack of airflow?

I was gona say, why are you misting them, just get a watering can and water them when they need it...lol
I would also stop misting them every day.
Elms do not need a humidity tray and I would say that too much humidity and misting could be part of your leaf problem if the humidity is that high. Mold is an indicator of too much moisture.

Top Bottom