Newbie trying to safe a pygmy juniper, advice/double check appreciated

RoneKiln

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Last spring I noticed a tiny Pygmy Juniper in a nursery that looked like it would make a great bonsai with very minimal work. My Father and I have always loved the idea of Bonsai, but never gave it a try beyond one of those little ficus that hardware stores sell every year as a bonsai. So I decided to give it to him for a gift and then proceeded to do everything wrong after only reading a short internet article on what I was doing. It is now a very faded green fast going to brown.

1st likely problem: I planted it in some old potting soil from the garage. I have since read that conifers should be grown in very large grained soil. I have purchased a bag of soil for conifers from Eastern Leaf (http://www.easternleaf.com/Conifer_Mix_p/113550-01.htm) and a strainer to sift the soil through.

2nd likely problem: like many, we though bonsai were kept indoors. After I repot it later this afternoon, it's going to be moved outside. I think we're past night freezes here (near Seattle), but I'll still have to keep a close eye on temperature. the plant is only 3 to 4 inches tall, and it's in a very tiny pot. So I'm nervous it could freeze very easily.

Wondering on fertilizer: I have read that fertilizing shortly after trimming the roots can cause harm. Now I don't expect to trim the roots, but if some rot set in after trimming and repotting in dense soil last year, could the fertilizer harm it? I have some Bonsai fertilizer from Eastern Leaf and was thinking of using half what it recommended as a possibly safe middle ground. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend? Is anything I've mentioned doing setting off warning alarms? This poor little tree looks pretty sick and I'm doubtful of being able to save it, but I feel I should try. I was pretty proud of how it looked when it was first repotted and would love to see it return to that. My Dad was pretty excited to finally have a Bonsai as well.

Do you have a picture? It could already be dead. Junipers will keep green foliage long after the plant is actually dead. Try scraping a small scratch into the bark on the trunk to see if there is any green (that would mean it is alive).

Tried inserting a photo with the "insert" command, but I'm not sure if it worked. I think it is dead. About half the foilage crumbled off in my hand. I tried to scratch the trunk, and most of the bark peeled off/fell off. It's brown underneath. Talked to my Dad when he got home and it turns out he'd given up on watering it a month ago.

Not sure I'll ever give him another one.

I repotted it to go through the motions and get a bit of practice. I soaked the roots for a few minutes while cleaning out the pot and sifting the new soil. They went from fairly stiff and brittle to soft and flexible in just those few minutes. It's now sitting outside in the sun.

OK, the insert image command seems to have not worked. Not sure how to post the picture here.

Edit to try to add photo again.

406122709.jpg

Last edited:
I repotted it to go through the motions and get a bit of practice. I soaked the roots for a few minutes while cleaning out the pot and sifting the new soil. They went from fairly stiff and brittle to soft and flexible in just those few minutes. It's now sitting outside in the sun.

Hey there,
That juniper looks like it's toast, but don't sweat it. I would head outdoors close by and collect a local variety that appeals to you. Local plants are usually able to thrive year round in your specific climate with little or no winter protection. Most bonsai enjoy full sun, and since the soil you bought is 100% inorganic, you will need to water and fertilize a lot. Don't ever let it completely dry out. Also, after repotting (or collecting) a tree with leaves (or needles) do not ever put it directly into full sun as you did with your juniper. The roots are not immediately able to uptake water and the tree will dry out and die. Ease it into the sun over a few week period. Good luck with your bonsai in the future. It is very nice to have a dad who is alive and kicking and cares at all about bonsai, so take advantage and maybe learn together. Bonsai trees are cool little things.

Ross

Last edited:
First thing is to put your location in your profile so folks can give you the best possible advice.

Don't get discouraged. Ross's advice is great. It's rare not to have had a few tree casualties when you first start out, and even some when you think you know what you're doing.

Hey there,
That juniper looks like it's toast, but don't sweat it. I would head outdoors close by and collect a local variety that appeals to you. Local plants are usually able to thrive year round in your specific climate with little or no winter protection. Most bonsai enjoy full sun, and since the soil you bought is 100% inorganic, you will need to water and fertilize a lot. Don't ever let it completely dry out. Also, after repotting (or collecting) a tree with leaves (or needles) do not ever put it directly into full sun as you did with your juniper. The roots are not immediately able to uptake water and the tree will dry out and die. Ease it into the sun over a few week period. Good luck with your bonsai in the future. It is very nice to have a dad who is alive and kicking and cares at all about bonsai, so take advantage and maybe learn together. Bonsai trees are cool little things.

Ross

Thanks for the heads up on the roots being slow to take in water. "In the shade on a day with a few rare sunbreaks" would have been more acurate for me to say, as actual direct sunlight is extremely rare around here for another 2 or 3 months. You've still helped me avoid that mistake with the new Juniper that came along with the soil from Eastern Leaf. I was wondering how a soil made up of just clay and lava rock would provide any nutrients for a plant.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. From now on I'll make sure my Mom gets the maintenance schedule for any trees I share with him. He's just not wired to keep up on watering daily. I'm not sure how well I'll do with that either, but I'll find out on the next few trees. Given how common Junipers are around here, I think I'll pick up a few more to experiment with and build a shelf for the porch for them. I hope to become a regular here in the next few years.

Any recomendations on what type of soil to mix in with the clay and lava rock to provide a more even water/nutrient supply for Junipers?

Thank you. That is definitely being added to the weyerhouser collection for places to take my Dad.

Back
Top Bottom