Newly acquired A. Palmatum. Root work questions

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I recently got this from a nursery owner who didn't have time to repot this year. consequently he discounted it. I was wondering if it was still safe to do some work on the roots, and if so, to what extent could I reduce them. It's obviously in poor soil, and will need something done to it regardless.

Attachments

• DSC00596.jpg
    DSC00596.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC00595.jpg
    DSC00595.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 249

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't disturb the roots too much as the leaves look quite advanced already. Be careful with the watering schedule until fall and repot it when the leaves turn red and start falling. Judging by your location, you won't need to give it extra protection against frost during the "winter" ;)

I normally shop for those in fall, as a lot of nurseries will discount the stock rather than have to take care of it during the winter. If I still have space in the cold frame, I repot them before it gets too cold. Otherwise I keep them outside on the dry side until spring.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
This was actually from a bonsai nursery (although you might not be able to tell by looking at the roots).
Would it be okay to clean away a little of that soil and put it in some decent stuff? Or would that be too much disturbance? I'm just getting into Maples, so I haven't experienced their quirks yet.
thnx,
Nick.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine id leave it alone,just watch your watering routine,that mix probalbly holds more water then we would want,wait till fall like mentioned or spring.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could slip pot it into another larger container if your worried about it being pot bound,but i think it will be fine,ive seen much worse.

Glider

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes, slip pot it if it's in trouble, but otherwise I wouldn't touch the roots this year. As with Discusmike, I've seen a lot worse.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I'm really glad I didn't decide to do root work on this in the fall. We had weeks of COLD weather. Every night was in the 20's and 30's, and that is highly unusual for us. The cold finally broke a couple days ago, and it is now in the 50's and 60's. I'm thinking about keeping my maples and elm in the garage for a few weeks so that they aren't tempted to leaf out early.
Anyways, I guess this will be my 2010 maple project. I will post pics when I attack the roots. I also have to decide whether I want to air-layer it or not. I have seen many fine maple bonsai without much taper in the upper trunk, and I will have to decide whether I am happy with the top of my trunk, or if I want to regrow it.

Top Bottom