No matter what my trees look like in person....

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
All true. Hate photographing my trees. Three dimensionality adds so much. Even if I’m just looking at my trees if I slowly turn them slightly from side to side it punches up the design, if it’s good to begin with.

But, pics are great ways to see design flaws that aren’t noticed otherwise. Another way to put it is if you can make a tree look good in a pic it’s gonna look great in person.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know when I look at my trees, they always look better to me, than in photographs. I don't think it has anything to do with the 2 dimensional aspect of photos, I think it has to do with me not "seeing" the tree in front of me, but me seeing what I think it will become. A little bit of wishful thinking, fantasy, ego & as Sorce says; "future vision googles".

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, I was just looking at one of my forests on my computer. I collect nice pictures of everything under the sun for computer screen backgrounds, mountains, seashores, canyons, things, and some are my trees. Anyway, it suddenly occurred to me what the difference is between looking at the real thing and looking at a picture. Looking at the picture, no matter how big or small the tree is, it always looks like the tree is across the room or some distance away. In real life your face is right there, almost touching the trees. To see one side or the other you move your head, or even your whole body. Same with up or down. The picture just doesn't give you that interaction, you only move your eyes a little bit. The difference is night and day. It's "there", rather than, "here".

Last edited:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think this,
I know when I look at my trees, they always look better to me, than in photographs. I don't think it has anything to do with the 2 dimensional aspect of photos, I think it has to do with me not "seeing" the tree in front of me, but me seeing what I think it will become. A little bit of wishful thinking, fantasy, ego & as Sorce says; "future vision googles".

As well as, I compare it too having tattoos. You can have a killer tattoo but when it's on you and you see it everyday, you know all the flows or imperfections it has. You can see it in two different ways at once.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score

I think our brains do amazing image processing all the time that we aren’t aware of. But as a quick test of the 3D theory, try covering one eye when looking at a tree. To me the effect is similar to looking at a photograph with most of the same unpleasant effects. I do it all the time to help see flaws.

Top Bottom