Non Bonsai tools and stuff for Bonsai

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
what do you use them for . Seem weak compared to say pliers . Not saying anything negative . Just curious . Very similar to blacksmith tongs . My knife making buddy . Would like them
Jim pliars, regular pliars. They hold and twist wire just fine and are very sturdy. 100% strong enough for trees. The selling point is that you can spin them easily and they stay put.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
1/2” UHMW winch rope that I use to pull tree out the ground. This light rope has an astounding load capacity of 22 thousand pounds and a breaking load of 33 thousand pound. One can easily tow a vehicle out of the ditch with it. A great feature is that it does stretch much at all so there is hardly any lashback should the rope break.
C2D10724-CD34-4AC1-9808-DC4836907CBB.jpeg

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1/2” UHMW winch rope that I use to pull tree out the ground. This light rope has an astounding load capacity of 22 thousand pounds and a breaking load of 33 thousand pound. One can easily tow a vehicle out of the ditch with it. A great feature is that it does stretch much at all so there is hardly any lashback should the rope break.
View attachment 471130
Very cool looked it up . Seems ideal light weight and very strong . Fast search only shows it in large spools . $$ but will keep looking thanks

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very cool looked it up . Seems ideal light weight and very strong . Fast search only shows it in large spools . $$ but will keep looking thanks
Mine is 92 ft for $76 as synthetic rope for winch on Amazon.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There are other versions, one is named a "come along winch". I picked up one from harbor freight for cheap. Mine has cable and I have pulled mowers, cars, trees, you name it.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Home Depot . First pop up . But I see what you guys mean . Looks like the one cajun gas is 112.$ Canadian about right with exchange . Odd it seems there are expensive and cheap versions 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• CD6CF024-C215-4546-AE8E-D102FC784BD9.png
    CD6CF024-C215-4546-AE8E-D102FC784BD9.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 20

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Home Depot . First pop up . But I see what you guys mean . Looks like the one cajun gas is 112.$ Canadian about right with exchange . Odd it seems there are expensive and cheap versions 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
They are the same stuff. That is a rip off price. The 1/4” stuff good for 7500 lbs should be around $.50 per foot or less.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Up here we use Timber Rattlers... For clearing dense swamp brush/shrubs/thornbushes.

I'll get a picture of my "car knife"
🤣

View attachment 469815
I bought one recently and the grind was way too far away from the finger hole for close work. I will grind away the marked black section and resharpen the knife to my liking. It is a big knife. I hope the steel is OK for my heavy use.
1F31E4D9-9C06-4520-97D7-40364FF00DD7.jpeg
57275615-2F6F-4B0B-A73D-962A97B11324.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought one recently and the grind was way too far away from the finger hole for close work. I will grind away the marked black section and resharpen the knife to my liking. It is a big knife. I hope the steel is OK for my heavy use.
View attachment 471203
View attachment 471204
Have to admit I’m still at a bit of a loss . What exactly do you use it for . As per bonsai collecting . As I said I have a short machete . For clearing over grown brush . But I need it very rarely . Some use a survival knife like that to dig . Might be pretty handy in a bear fight . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂👍👍😎😎

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have to admit I’m still at a bit of a loss . What exactly do you use it for . As per bonsai collecting . As I said I have a short machete . For clearing over grown brush . But I need it very rarely . Some use a survival knife like that to dig . Might be pretty handy in a bear fight . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂👍👍😎😎

It's like a weighted machete... I use mine for the same things.

Clearing brush... More notably, frozen brush.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A Bowie knife is sort of the, "Jack of all trades, master of none," of outdoor gear. Just big enough to replace a machete or similar, small enough to skin big game, light enough to go anywhere, heavy enough to be worth it's weight.
What might you need a blade bigger than a pocket knife for?
THAT'S what a Bowie knife is for.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A Bowie knife is sort of the, "Jack of all trades, master of none," of outdoor gear. Just big enough to replace a machete or similar, small enough to skin big game, light enough to go anywhere, heavy enough to be worth it's weight.
What might you need a blade bigger than a pocket knife for?
THAT'S what a Bowie knife is for.
One step smaller than a bowie knife would be a buck 110. They are foldable and pretty heavy duty. I have used mine for digging roots and cutting back bark for sharis and air layers. But mostly, I use mine for home repairs and farm stuff. It is a little large for bonsai most of the time. If I am reaching for it, I probably actually need a saw.

Yes, I beat the crap out of it. It was my edc for maybe 4 years. It kind of wears holes in your jeans because of the weight. That is a common complaint. They were one of the most common knives in America back in the 70s. Maybe I will get a synthetic handle (featherweight or whatever) replacement one day.
20230205_112624.jpg
Bout 8 inches.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Bears normally want to stay the hell away....

This is lucky for us humans!

🤣

IMG_20230205_144215.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You guys are starting to scare me 😂😂😂😂

Yes, technically a "combat axe"... But For me, a person who sees very little combat..
. It's a light, durable blade... That won't throw me off, hanging from my neck , whilst climbing through ravine and dune terrain...

The 25-lb ruck is heavy enough .. but at least it's balanced.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One step smaller than a bowie knife would be a buck 110. They are foldable and pretty heavy duty. I have used mine for digging roots and cutting back bark for sharis and air layers. But mostly, I use mine for home repairs and farm stuff. It is a little large for bonsai most of the time. If I am reaching for it, I probably actually need a saw.

Yes, I beat the crap out of it. It was my edc for maybe 4 years. It kind of wears holes in your jeans because of the weight. That is a common complaint. They were one of the most common knives in America back in the 70s. Maybe I will get a synthetic handle (featherweight or whatever) replacement one day.
View attachment 471226
Bout 8 inches.
I had the 3 blade version for almost 20 years, then handed it down to my oldest daughter last summer. Buck still makes the best pocket knives.
Never wore a hole in my jeans that didn't deserve to be there anyway.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, technically a "combat axe"... But For me, a person who sees very little combat..
. It's a light, durable blade... That won't throw me off, hanging from my neck , whilst climbing through ravine and dune terrain...

The 25-lb ruck is heavy enough .. but at least it's balanced.
So bonsai basically started with . Monks growing trees from the mountains. In a pot . There is a lot of zen and being one with nature . I go into the woods . With that mindset . You guys know like yoda says . When you are calm at peace . You will find the trees . It’s not about who is the heaviest armed for battle . If you fight Mother Nature you lose . 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
<Insert comment about all the horribly unnatural things people do to make bonsai here>

I get what you're saying, but I'm out in the woods as a lifestyle, not an occasional thing. Most of the time it's nothing more than my usual pocket knife. Other times I bring the heavy duty stuff.

I sprained my ankle on the way out of some super hinky terrain while camping over the summer. I was lucky enough to have found a walk stick someone else had abandoned shortly before the incident and used it to hobble the last 2 miles out. If I didn't already have it I'd have had to make one, and I was glad I had my Bowie knife for the job is it'd been necessary.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
<Insert comment about all the horribly unnatural things people do to make bonsai here>

I get what you're saying, but I'm out in the woods as a lifestyle, not an occasional thing. Most of the time it's nothing more than my usual pocket knife. Other times I bring the heavy duty stuff.

I sprained my ankle on the way out of some super hinky terrain while camping over the summer. I was lucky enough to have found a walk stick someone else had abandoned shortly before the incident and used it to hobble the last 2 miles out. If I didn't already have it I'd have had to make one, and I was glad I had my Bowie knife for the job is it'd been necessary.
It was a Sunday afternoon joke . Lighten up
It’s wise to take some basic survival stuff with you into the woods And a sharp blade is very useful . For spring black flies ( have to be experienced in the north to truly understand ) I’ve wondered if a flame thrower would work . 😂😂😂 black flies are a early spring thing here very small biting flies in large swarms . The bites are very small and not that bad . The bad part is they drive you fucking nuts . Swarm fly in your ears nose mouth eyes . I wear a bug net in early spring .

Top Bottom