Nova bonsai garden

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Congratulations! This is a dream. What a great space. Excited to see what you build.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What a great opportunity for you, looks beautiful.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No pool for Marky? 🤔 :D

Looks to be a pleasant, rural area. Good luck on your new journey. You can introduce your trees to "seasons"........😀:D:D:D

Best wishes.:cool:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Va.! I've been a Virginian for almost five decades. I grew up out in the Shenandoah Valley. You're in a beautiful place out there.

Several bonsai events coming up in the late winter/spring.

The Potomac Bonsai Association's Show and Sale is coming up May 6-May 8 at the National Arboretum in D.C. Always a decent event. Some good vendors and local club exhibits.

Also the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond is hosting a bonsai exhibit by Gardens Unlimited all during January.

Bob Chilton and Todd Stewart who run Gardens Unlimited are behind the exhibit. I've known them for twenty years. They have excellent winter storage facilities for bonsai. I board my live oak with them every winter. I'll be making a run in early April to their nursery to pick up my oak. PM me if you want to come along for the ride. They have some of the best bonsai in Va. Their place is between Richmond and Fredericksburg.

They run a Japanese Garden landscaping company and have designed gardens for the U.S. Capitol greenhouse and Mary Washington University. They also have Koi ponds. They work all over the state, including the Valley.

Also, you probably will want to visit Julian Adams' bonsai place down in Lynchburg at some point. Julian has been a regular vendor at the PBA Sale.

A visit to Nature's Way bonsai up in Harrisburg, PA is also a must. It's a drive, but worth the trip.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats Scott. Virginia is a beautiful state and a good climate for lots of the bonsai usual suspects. Looking forward to the thread.
Old Rag Mt. is near you. One of the destination hikes in Va. If you want to get away from the crowds, head west to Augusta, Rockingham and Highland counties. LOTS of opportunities there in the George Washington National Forest--Reddish Knob/Flagpole Knob, Ramsay's Draft Wilderness, Elliott Knob to name a few. Or follow the Skyline Drive down to its Southern End to Waynesboro where it meets the Blue Ridge Parkway--, Three Ridges Wilderness, Humpback Rocks, Wintergreen Resort.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you - we think it’s very beautiful there and I’m excited to do some hiking.

- S
Old Rag Mt. is near you. One of the destination hikes in Va. If you want to get away from the crowds, head west to Augusta, Rockingham and Highland counties. LOTS of opportunities there in the George Washington National Forest--Reddish Knob/Flagpole Knob, Ramsay's Draft Wilderness, Elliott Knob to name a few. Or follow the Skyline Drive down to its Southern End to Waynesboro where it meets the Blue Ridge Parkway--, Three Ridges Wilderness, Humpback Rocks, Wintergreen Resort.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks beautiful. Don’t forget your DEET!
The very best working product for them is original Cutter. I swear by it and it worked in a huge sample in NH summer camping with many other types of options.. They all begged me for it, the best. Better than off

OP congrats. Area looks like wonderful living

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome to Va.! I've been a Virginian for almost five decades. I grew up out in the Shenandoah Valley. You're in a beautiful place out there.

Several bonsai events coming up in the late winter/spring.

The Potomac Bonsai Association's Show and Sale is coming up May 6-May 8 at the National Arboretum in D.C. Always a decent event. Some good vendors and local club exhibits.

Also the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond is hosting a bonsai exhibit by Gardens Unlimited all during January.

Bob Chilton and Todd Stewart who run Gardens Unlimited are behind the exhibit. I've known them for twenty years. They have excellent winter storage facilities for bonsai. I board my live oak with them every winter. I'll be making a run in early April to their nursery to pick up my oak. PM me if you want to come along for the ride. They have some of the best bonsai in Va. Their place is between Richmond and Fredericksburg.

They run a Japanese Garden landscaping company and have designed gardens for the U.S. Capitol greenhouse and Mary Washington University. They also have Koi ponds. They work all over the state, including the Valley.

Also, you probably will want to visit Julian Adams' bonsai place down in Lynchburg at some point. Julian has been a regular vendor at the PBA Sale.

A visit to Nature's Way bonsai up in Harrisburg, PA is also a must. It's a drive, but worth the trip.
Thanks for all the links, rockm - they are much appreciated. I’ll be back and forth quite a bit between now and June, so it’s possible I’ll be around for some of the events. If I am and I have time, I’ll definitely come by. And that‘s a great tip for Garden’s Unlimited - I’ll be in touch.

I know both Julian Adams and Jim Doyle - those trips are on my list of things to do. I just bought a tree from Jim at the US National Show, actually.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks beautiful. Don’t forget your DEET!
The very best working product for them is original Cutter. I swear by it and it worked in a huge sample in NH summer camping with many other types of options.. They all begged me for it, the best. Better than off

OP congrats. Area looks like wonderful living
Thanks - mosquitos there haven’t been nearly as bad as they are living in the middle of the swamp here in Houston. Deer ticks, however, are a new challenge for me and something I’ve not dealt with before. We’re still trying to figure out our strategy with them - they’re damn hard to see.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate all of the wilderness destinations. I’m excited about exploring the area. II hiked Old Rag last year. It was a wonderful walk and good views from the summit. Looking forward to doing that again.

- S

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate all of the wilderness destinations. I’m excited about exploring the area. II hiked Old Rag last year. It was a wonderful walk and good views from the summit. Looking forward to doing that again.

- S
Don't mean to be obnoxious with all the links 😁 but there's a lot to see out that way. A few more to keep in mind:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well - I’ve been trying to identify a good koi pond designer from the Atlanta area…
Designers are for the wealthy whereas all it requires is a little common sense to avoid the pitfalls of pond building and give you a highly enviable result. I speak from experience having designed landscapes over about 40 years and installing several ponds. Look me up when you move to White Post.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't mean to be obnoxious with all the links 😁 but there's a lot to see out that way. A few more to keep in mind:
Awesome - thank you!!

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Designers are for the wealthy whereas all it requires is a little common sense to avoid the pitfalls of pond building and give you a highly enviable result. I speak from experience having designed landscapes over about 40 years and installing several ponds. Look me up when you move to White Post.
The koi pond comment was a bit of a joke with Adair. But I would very much appreciate the help of someone with an educated eye to avoid mistakes and foresee issues. I’ll reach out when we get into town. Thanks and I very much appreciate the offer!

- S

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been over to the state arboretum several times - it’s wonderful.
Its a great place to walk around and there are some decent specimens, but sadly, it has gone downhill over the years. Most of the dwarf conifers they had died and very little new has been added. I was going to sign on as a volunteer but then bewtween covid and my aging mother I seem to have lost most of my free time.

Top Bottom