Nursery Bonsai Ficus in a 4-inch propagation pot..

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nursery Bonsai Ficus in a 6x4-inch propagation pot..

My local nursery had a couple of ficus' that were already, some what, trained into a rough Hokidachi (broom) style. They are planted in standard 6x4-inch propagation pots. The trunks are quite large, I would think they would be rather mature, but they need a little more TLC. I do want to train my own from seedling/small house plant into Bonsai eventually.

I've owned two Bonsai in the past but a different times; a juniper and a ficus; before I had an real interest in plants in general. So, needless to say they didn't make it. I have since got my degree in Horticulture/Landscaping and I'm wanting to give Bonsai a real try this time. I live in zone 5b, however, I do have access to a commercial style green house at the college where I work. This will help pass the winter months where, if it doesn't snow, I sit in a break room with 6 other guys watching TV, working on equipment and get on each others nerves.

My question is; would this be a good option to start back into Bonsai with the already matured ficus Bonsai and maintain it? I'm figuring that since they are more mature they'll be a little tougher. Also, I heard on youtube that Bonsai pot should be no deeper and the trunk is wide, is that a good 'rule' to follow?

Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I'm curious to how large the trunks could really be if they are only in a 4" pot. My ficus have trunks as large as 12". Depending on how thin the trunks are that pot rule of thumb may not apply.

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm curious to how large the trunks could really be if they are only in a 4" pot. My ficus have trunks as large as 12". Depending on how thin the trunks are that pot rule of thumb may not apply.

Sorry..I meant 6x4-inch pots. I couldn't tell you exactly the size of the trunk. But the pots are warped into ovals.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
. . . Also, I heard on youtube that Bonsai pot should be no deeper and the trunk is wide, is that a good 'rule' to follow?

This is a general rule of thumb for sizing pots for a developed tree ("finished" bonsai), and even then it depends on the species and style. While trees are being developed/trained, they are normally in larger pots that give them a bit of root run. Root growth = top growth. No root growth = no top growth (except for stored energy).

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got any pics of the trees you are looking at buying ???
And what are the prices ???
Reason why I asked is that the might be a good deal and a good
place to start, and they might be overpriced crap not worth wasting
your money on...
If able get some pics
:)

I'll snap some pics today. The price was 24.99.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Post the pic and it also helps a lot if you can get the actual variety. There are really nice ficus for bonsai and there are some you should stir away from.

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai pic sets 1 of 2

Ok all, I got some photos today of the ficus' in question. They all are 24.99.
2012-11-26_10_39_57.jpgBrown 1 - trunk.jpg

Brown 2 - full.jpgBrown 2 - trunks.jpg

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai pic sets 2 of 2

Green - trunk.jpg

They all are Ficus benjamina, I believe.

Or should I just go with Ficus benjamina that are planted in 10-inch propagation pots set up as a house plant shrub? They have multiple trunk all about the size of a number 2 pencil and about 12-24-inches tall. The style I think I want to start with is which ever style the Ficus is best suited for. I want to go with traditional, relatively simple, style of any given tree. Then I'll move on to playing around with different styles (does that make since?).

Attachments

• Green - full.jpg
    Green - full.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I personally won't buy any of them but if I have to choose, I'll probably take the one on the last pic.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm with Dario in that none of them look to be amazing finds. For 25 bucks, you can always get one to help learn basic pruning and of course how to keep it alive. If you're looking for something on its way to being a nice bonsai, you may want to keep looking (and be ready to spend a bit more, or at least pay some shipping from a tropical bonsai grower.)

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do decide to get one, buy the one with the best base/trunk. Most or all of those branches and leaves won't be a part of your final design. It's good that they're there now, as it shows you that these are healthy plants. They're just not going to be useful later. You want a nice fat base with some taper as you move up the trunk.

Benjamina isn't the best Ficus species for bonsai training (in my opinion). They don't back bud as well as some others, branches can become "leggy" or just die off. I have some, and there are certainly some nice examples out there. It just might not be the best first choice.

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I personally won't buy any of them but if I have to choose, I'll probably take the one on the last pic.

Ok, I didn't think they looked all that great either. Just thought of them as an option. That nursery is not known for bonsai, obviously :D actually no local nursery has bonsai starters, other than that one.

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm pretty well limited to what these nurseries have. I really don't want to order of an online source do to the impending winter. I may come mid-spring. All I have are the before mentioned nurseries and local florist. I'm thinking that I may have a better chance of making the Bonsai I want from a ficus in a 10-inch house plant container. What do you think of that option?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't think those are benjaminas. Look like microcarpas.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I would confidently say that they are tiger bark retusas, but I've been wrong recently so don't rely exclusively on me. I think the third one would be a great learning tree for twenty five bucks.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
You know, you're right. I didn't look closely enough. They do look more like retusa, which is good. That should make it more fun if Kevin decides to get one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the chaotic banyan feel of the first one. Just remember that the arial roots cause the trunk to thicken where they join the trunk, which can cause reverse taper. In the north, they don't like to be styled and/or repotted until the hotest day of summer, and then put right back out into maximum sunlight. You might want to keep it in an airtight plastic bag for the trip to the car and home during freezing weather.
Pardon the tropical topical discussion if you already know the basics or if you have high powered indoor lighting.

Cheers,
Dave

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
here are a couple of my retusa projects that are all a ton of fun
[/ATTACH]ficus1.jpgficus2.jpgficus4.jpgficus3.jpg

Attachments

• ficus.jpg
    ficus.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: