Nursery stock sale

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any chance on instead of jinning the lower branch, turn it into a new leader with a truck chop to there to try getting more back budding?
That’s what I meant with the original post I just re read it and I wrote it weird...

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I lol figure out how to get it tomorrow it’s in a 50 gal bucket so I got to get a buddy with a truck of figure out how to put in in my civic. Luckily this place is a 3 min drive down the road. When would be a good time to trunk chop? If I could do it now, transportation would be easier

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any chance on instead of jinning the lower branch, turn it into a new leader with a truck chop to there to try getting more back budding?
When I saw the tree, I was thinking the opposite? Change the planting angle so the trunk isn’t so straight, Jin/carve the left side and work with the bottom branch. That could be a nice medium-size tree with a giant trunk!

6A409629-7859-4A32-9B04-9AA7866D647A.jpeg

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When I saw the tree, I was thinking the opposite? Change the planting angle so the trunk isn’t so straight, Jin/carve the left side and work with the bottom branch. That could be a nice medium-size tree with a giant trunk!

View attachment 263713
Yeah, that would be the plan. I wonder what the roots look like in that huge bucket?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 263713

yes that would be best i think. its nice material, good bark, chunky trunk and the low branch gives the option to make a convincing image already.

this is along the lines of what brewing suggested

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is actually a lot of big trees for $25. i'm going to go back tomorrow to get this one but ill take some pictures of the others to get your opinion. There is a big holly there that caught my eye. Not sure how much the leaves reduce tho. I don’t think it’s worth my time. 263729
Then there is this blue juniper which I managed to take the worst photo of but the base is bigger than a beer can.
Lots of big cheap material. Which is what I’m after. I spent a lot of time on small things those past year so maybe these will be fun to work with. maybe I’ll try to graft some shimpaku onto this Goliath.

Attachments

• BB6EDE10-DFAE-42BE-AE07-D35457A75398.jpeg
    BB6EDE10-DFAE-42BE-AE07-D35457A75398.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 47

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lots of trunk for $25... fwiw, I think those are cedars... Cedrus species...
Very well could be. Larch was my first guess, the needles are soft. I’ll ask the nursery tomorrow see if they know the exact.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The nursery down the road from me had a bunch of old trees marked $25. I think this is a larch but it’s the best of a the bunch there’s a low branch I could eventually Jin the top. What do you think? Worth it or a headache.

YES;)!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is the blue juniper also for 25 I think I’m going to go back for.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I d hesitate on the juniper as there is very little foliage near the trunk. Be prepared for a few year of work to get it back in.

The cedar you bought.. check how heavy you can work the roots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That juniper does nothing for me but do your magic.

Top Bottom