Nursery yew..good tree, bad start

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It lived! Not only that, it grew almost all the new growth on the middle part of the trunk. I figured this would happen. I removed some large branches in that area and yews send out a ton of buds to replace those branches. This presents some great options now. Depending on how well it grows next season, I might "hedge" the top so to speak.

Rob

Recent pic

Comparison from 2 1/2 months ago.

I would consider repotting this tree into a potted environment where the left side of the tree is not so confined and cramped as it appears to be now. This sort of planting can cause a host of difficulties for you that are just now starting to show up with the large root on the left starting to swell. Part of the beauty of this material is the very nice taper it now possesses. If this issue is not dealt with you will lose that.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would consider repotting this tree into a potted environment where the left side of the tree is not so confined and cramped as it appears to be now. This sort of planting can cause a host of difficulties for you that are just now starting to show up with the large root on the left starting to swell. Part of the beauty of this material is the very nice taper it now possesses. If this issue is not dealt with you will lose that.

Hi Vance..It is a bit illusion, I think created by my camera and the tree. Also, there is a decent amount of room in the back. It is a bit closer on one side. However, that long extension of nebari on the opposite side, along with the 5 or so pencil sized roots dictated this planting angle. Basically there is no root ball. I am amazed the tree was even alive when I purchased it.

Here are pics from the back. Strange, isn't it.

Rob

Top Bottom