Oak yamadori

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Last week I ran across these bur oak trees along a steep river bank. The ground in this one area is very sandy. They appear to be old and since the ground is very sandy, should be easy to collect. Before I do, I want to know if any of you have had experience with collecting bur oak? Do they take to bonsai culture? Several appear to be stunted and some are natural rafts - just right for bonsai.

Thanks,

DaveV. 000_0275.jpg000_0276.jpg000_0273.jpg000_0272.jpg000_0267.jpg

Last edited:
Most oak are hard to collect because they have very large taproots and few roots near the surface. If you work hard and get enough roots for it to surive, it is likely to be bare-rooted - especially in sandy soil. And then it won't fit in a reasonable container. I have seen it done successfully but be prepared for a lot of work and have some idea of what you are going to do with it after it is out of the ground.

Last edited:
I have a feeling these trees are going to be ALL tap root. They aren't perched up on the bank with shallow root systems. The root on the river side of the trunk have been killed off as the soil eroded, what is left is most likely a long tap root take takes a lateral course away from the river into the bank. Good luck getting them out...

Also, removing trees from wetlands and river banks is usually a BIG no-no. Especially river banks, as removing trees can lead to accelerated erosion of the river bank. I'd check with local regulations and the property owner before you start in on them.

I had a feeling they may have a long tap root. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom