Obligatory Newbie Stick in a Pot Thread

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I assume it's considered customary for folks new bnut and bonsai in general to post some stick in a pot to showcase their newfound mastery of the art of bonsai. I don't want to break with tradition and upset you all so here's mine. I present to you, one stick in a pot.

I lied, it's not even in a pot. It's just a stick in river sand in a sour cream container, no roots or nothin'.

I was just bored and wanted to see if I could root this thing. I give this project about a 1% chance of success. If you're wondering and or the superstitious type, I took this cutting on the full moon so that accounts for the 1%.
9/22/21
yupsc.jpg
Anyways, a couple weeks pass and I'm itchin' to check my stick in sand in a sour cream container. I wanted to make sure it wasn't all moldy or something.

Look at that. Two weeks to callous, I was expecting a couple months. I'm doublin down on my chance for success, we up to 2% now folks.
10/5/21
callous.jpg
please ignore that pasty white hand. We don't get much sun up here.
yup.jpg
After I saw that callous I got a little optimistic and I didn't feel like wranglin some delicate new roots out of sand so I potted this stick up in a little grow basket.

Now there's that stick in a pot you all came here to see!!!
in basket.jpg

18 days later. Well look what we got here!
rooot.jpg
Now I just need some shoots to match those roots...

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, this does not qualify as a true stick in a pot. If you only had the straight trunk on the right, it would be a true 100% SIP. As is with the nicely curved trunk on the left, it is only 75% SIP.

BTW, what is it? I'm guessing willow.
It's just prunus virginiana. They are kind of taking over in some parts up here and giving the willows a run for their money. Moose don't like them so it's considered invasive. I think down in Anchorage the city is paying people to remove them and here I am propagating cuttings.

Not many Prunus species up here but I found what I guess is a lone Prunus Sibrica or Prunus Mandshurica outside a coffee shop in Palmer, AK. I packed fists full of little apricots in my pockets with with a quickness. Hopefully I'll have some seedlings come spring.

Last edited:

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like you just rooted a big cutting. Nice work!
Thanks! I have a batch of about 10 of these going, this was the first one to shoot roots out the basket though.

Just one of several winter projects I have going to keep myself occupied during the long dark.

Top Bottom