Okay, Now That The Trident Is In, What Should I Do With It?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For me, the endemics here are boring as hell. The only one that interests me is the Acer.
This seems crazy to me!!

Oaks? Cypress? Myrtles? Interesting Ilexes? Bougies? Ficus? Buttonwoods? Dogwoods? Fruits/berry trees/bushes?

But Acer Rubrum IS nice too.. many don’t like them.. but I do.. I own a couple.. and have some Acer Freemani (Rubrum/Sugar wild crossed) from a Autumn Blaze that is mature.. but only 20ft high.. hoping to clone the stunted genetics..

But you CAN pursue Rubrum.. just aim.. “bigger” for your completed design

🤓

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry I made a suggestion

Sorry, that was a bit harsh looking. Ficus just doesn't interest me at all. I am from the northeast, so I am a Florida transplant. It's the northern stuff that interests me more.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This seems crazy to me!!

Oaks? Cypress? Myrtles? Interesting Ilexes? Bougies? Ficus? Buttonwoods? Dogwoods? Fruits/berry trees/bushes?

But Acer Rubrum IS nice too.. many don’t like them.. but I do.. I own a couple.. and have some Acer Freemani (Rubrum/Sugar wild crossed) from a Autumn Blaze that is mature.. but only 20ft high.. hoping to clone the stunted genetics..

But you CAN pursue Rubrum.. just aim.. “bigger” for your completed design

🤓

I am a Yankee and I prefer the northern trees from PA and NY. That may be why I am partial to maples since they are my favorite tree.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Move back to the right climate zone?

If only I could! I have two little ones from a previous marriage that I will not leave down here.

That is why I chose at least a maple that will be okay in this climate.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am a Yankee and I prefer the northern trees from PA and NY. That may be why I am partial to maples since they are my favorite tree.
Oh yes, understandable... but THEEEN you gotta understand that the more “northern trees” will have to be nursery-purchased or imported.. there are most likely species that grow in Florida AND in the northern climates... much LIKE Rubrum...

Just go huntin’ Swamp Maples,. If you find ONE.. you’ll find many....

Look for at least 2” in diameter.. with movement/interest in the trunk within the first 6”

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh yes, understandable... but THEEEN you gotta understand that the more “northern trees” will have to be nursery-purchased or imported.. there are most likely species that grow in Florida AND in the northern climates... much LIKE Rubrum...

Just go huntin’ Swamp Maples,. If you find ONE.. you’ll find many....

Look for at least 2” in diameter.. with movement/interest in the trunk within the first 6”

I only ever see those along roads and those trees are maintained. Have no clue where to even go looking for one that I could even harvest if I wanted to.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well..Advised huntin’ might have to wait until your next “collection window”...

But I have pulled RubRum “high-summer” with no hiccups.. they’re tough.. but this was NOT advised. 🤣

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well..Advised huntin’ might have to wait until your next “collection window”...

But I have pulled RubRum “high-summer” with no hiccups.. they’re tough.. but this was NOT advised. 🤣

Just looked on Etsy and someone is selling a 4-5 foot Florida (swamp) maple. Not sure what the diameter of the trunk would be though. Sent a question to them.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Check into your DNR (or forestry service).. I know you can’t pull in Fla State Parks.. but don’t know the regulations for public/county land.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is half-inch caliper a good starting point? You said when hunting for one I'm looking for two-inch in diameter.
2” at least when hunting...

Measure the one you have.. use that measurement to compare..

1/2” is still young.. but not reeal young.

Craig*

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are in Central Florida - try going out to somewhere like Lukas Nursery, I've been there a few times and got some larger stock. I'm sure they would have some mid sized maples.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Isilwen

The harsh reality is, as others have mentioned, to grow the tree you have into a two inch trunk will take years.
You can make this a bit faster by planting in the ground or not as fast but faster by putting it in a large grow box and feeding it.
Either way its going to take years. There is no other way around this because we cant change the fundamental tree physiology that governs this process.

We either go through the years ourselves to get the tree we want or we pay money for someone else's time to get the tree we want.
The tree you picture as an example is probably 30 or 40+ years old

My suggestion to you would be to use this tree to learn from. Learn to keep it alive, learn how to trim it, how it responds to that trimming and training.
Save your money and in 2-3 years once you are a bit more comfortable with keeping a trident alive in a pot, on your balcony buy a trunk that is the size you want or can stomach paying for.

Top Bottom