OKC Show

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a link to pics from the OKC show. We really need to move this to a better location for better displays. We also need some more enthusiastic members to break the old molds of how things were done for years and years for improvements all around. Only a few members have really nice trees.

My trees (counting across and down as in reading a page from a book) are pictures 23-29, 39-41, 44, 46, 47, 60 and the kobai satsuki azalea in the 89th picture. My stones are 22, 30, 38, 43, and 45.

http://bonsaiclubokc.com/2015 Bonsai Show Photos.html

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for sharing. It's apparent that the club definitely participates in the show; lots of trees. Backdrops and display tables would help.

Does your club host guest artist workshops? It looks like the club has enthusiasm and willingness, but needs teaching and guidance. The former is more difficult to achieve than the latter.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It must be a pretty active club, to have that much participation in the show. Thanks for posting it.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing. It's apparent that the club definitely participates in the show; lots of trees. Backdrops and display tables would help.

Does your club host guest artist workshops? It looks like the club has enthusiasm and willingness, but needs teaching and guidance. The former is more difficult to achieve than the latter.
Thanks Brian. No. They don't. But definitely need to. Some of us newer and younger members are trying to make some changes.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Brian. No. They don't. But definitely need to. Some of us newer and younger members are trying to make some changes.
It will be worth the effort, but, like bonsai itself, it will take time to get the old "branches" trained in new directions!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for taking the time to share the photos. Clearly there are quite a few nice trees on the cusp of contending for high honors. And there are a lot that need further refinement. We experience a similar situation around DC, where there are the regular old-timer's trees that are clearly show-ready, and since the show is not juried, everyone else who wants to display trees are encouraged to do so. Personally, I support this type of show because it gives the people who perhaps have not been exposed to better trees and displays the opportunity to see where they might aspire to be. I think this is a valuable experience IF the beginners go and see, and better yet, display and learn. Many trees are shown without being styled, with obvious wire, and nearly raw material. My hope is that everyone in the less-experienced group see what is needed to progress to be one of the nicer trees and displays.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm going to give a program on the 'rules' and art of bonsai at our club to differentiate bonsai from just growing a plant/tree in a pot. Not that we have to strictly adhere to all the rules developed in Japan but it's obviously the foundation that everyone should know and guide us.

We (including myself) tend to put unstyled trees in the show for fear of not having enough to make a show. Though there are some members that don't realize theirs are not properly styled. I'm still in the beginner camp and wanting to get serious and learn as much as I can.

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm going to give a program on the 'rules' and art of bonsai at our club to differentiate bonsai from just growing a plant/tree in a pot. Not that we have to strictly adhere to all the rules developed in Japan but it's obviously the foundation that everyone should know and guide us.

We (including myself) tend to put unstyled trees in the show for fear of not having enough to make a show. Though there are some members that don't realize theirs are not properly styled. I'm still in the beginner camp and wanting to get serious and learn as much as I can.
the easy beginning is to go to, or at least view online the more widely attended shows around the country. You will quickly see what is expected. Then your task will be to try your best to emulate what you see. The more you see, the more you will recall when time to style your trees. Then, then more you style and exhibit, the more you will approach and ultimately achieve what you aspire to.

Top Bottom