"Old Gold" Juniper

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice.

I hit my Old gold rather hard this year and it half stayed scale folaige.
Seems they should stay in line pretty well after while.

Sorce
The growth it push back was impressive, but it still remains in juvenile foliage. I'm wondering if it will convert back to scale next year. I have a Blue Rug that took 2yrs to convert back to scale after a decent pruning.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think what I meant to say was.....it seems ok to completely forget about, cause when there is actually enough folaige to style a good whole tree, it will be and remain scale.

For me, it answers the question, "is this good for bonsai?", With a Yes.

Sorce

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Pitoon, How far out do you wire the foliage? I have one of these and it would make a decent shohin sized tree, but the foliage, as you know, is long and course so it hangs. Do you wire all the way to the tips? And does it stay once you pull the wire off?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pitoon, How far out do you wire the foliage? I have one of these and it would make a decent shohin sized tree, but the foliage, as you know, is long and course so it hangs. Do you wire all the way to the tips? And does it stay once you pull the wire off?
For the initial wiring I just wired the branches to set them. I have yet to rewire probably sometime this month when I get a chance. Depending what I trim off I may wire up the foliage, all depends really. But yes the long branches drop once the wire is removed.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's a quick update on the 'Old Gold'. One side has been wired and trimed a couple months ago. I'll do the other side sometime this month. I've now got scale foliage back on both sides. Most all the braches have set their movement, however they are so leggy they still require wire to hold them up. Couple years they should hold in place......i'm hoping.

20210609_091017.jpg20210609_091031.jpg20210609_091041.jpg

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks nice but more like two separate trees, and not a coherent composition.

When I cover the view of the left part and then cover the view of the right part, each of them looks like a tree shaped with wind coming from two opposite directions - one from the left and the other one from the right.

Also, the whole composition is too symmetrical. I would do something about it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks nice but more like two separate trees, and not a coherent composition.

When I cover the view of the left part and then cover the view of the right part, each of them looks like a tree shaped with wind coming from two opposite directions - one from the left and the other one from the right.

Also, the whole composition is too symmetrical. I would do something about it.
Thanks, they are actually two different trees. This is why I left the jins in the middle to separate them naturally.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's some pics of what it looks like at the moment.....wired and very bushy. Still debating should I seperate into two separate trees or keep as is.

20220316_190734.jpg20220316_190811.jpg20220316_190758.jpg

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The tree on the right in the front picture would look nice stand-alone. I’m having trouble seeing something in the tree on the left.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree on the right in the front picture would look nice stand-alone. I’m having trouble seeing something in the tree on the left.
The branches are long on both. I had to do a lot of bending to bring the branches in tighter to the trunks. I was just outside looking at it and I'm leaning towards cutting back really hard to force it to back bud further back on the branches. Then regrow it out from there, it should give betters options.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I suspect the nursery mislabeled this juniper. It doesn’t look like the ‘Old Gold’ cultivar at all in the photos. So, unless the color calibration on the camera is way off, I think what you have is something else. ‘Old Gold’ should have foliage that is yellowish and I don’t see that on this tree.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I suspect the nursery mislabeled this juniper. It doesn’t look like the ‘Old Gold’ cultivar at all in the photos. So, unless the color calibration on the camera is way off, I think what you have is something else. ‘Old Gold’ should have foliage that is yellowish and I don’t see that on this tree.
The yellow that you see on an Old Gold is on the new growth primarily on the tips......once it grows and harden offs it turns green.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The yellow that you see on an Old Gold is on the new growth primarily on the tips......once it grows and harden offs it turns green.
I know what they look like. I have one in my collection. If yours displays yellowish color on the tips when you look at it in person, then I’ll take your word for it. It’s probably just something getting lost in translation between the tree, the lighting, the camera, and viewing the resulting photos on an iPhone.

Top Bottom