Old Gold progression.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 381819View attachment 381820View attachment 381821Got this Old Gold juniper a couple of years ago and decided to wire it up on fathers day for myself. I'm trying to decide what is my best front? Suggestions?View attachment 381822
I guess I'll bump my thread. I'm serious, I'd like a little input please... It's got pretty nice foliage. Just wanted opinions on a front and any criticism you want. Thanks.

theguywithcrocs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Obviously, this is just my personal preference, but I'm thinking either pic 1 or pic 4. 4 showcases the jin, and with 1 I just like the movement.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to agree with the above suggestion about raising a branch. I might select picture 3 to show the shari and jin on lower right and then swing that front branch over to the left and upwards so it exits on the left side of the trunk without crossing it.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So convention would say-

First branch 1/3rd up the tree on the outside of a bend.

The second branch would be 1/3rd of the remainder on the other side.

Third branch would be a back branch.

I would be guided by convention. It seems like you have some good things to pick from but you also need to address those things that are in conflict. Maybe that is where you are struggling.

It seems like picture 1 mostly follows convention but there is a low branch pointing at the viewer. The back of this, picture 4 would inversely, also prodominantley follow convention.

I would pick a strong 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then give it a cool hair-do.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Of the most common styles, where are you trying to take this tree? That would influence your decision on the front.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
De-railing the conversation here... what are the least common bonsai styles?
I should have been a bit more defined. I was being specific to junipers. While they fit pretty much every style, I have not seen many clump styles similar to a clump you would see common with chojubai.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I should have been a bit more defined. I was being specific to junipers. While they fit pretty much every style, I have not seen many clump styles similar to a clump you would see common with chojubai.

You’re right about that. The only one I can think of offhand is Ryan Neil’s blue rug clump. Not that the OP could do that with his.
5696C165-4065-4284-B08F-D378981A4097.jpeg

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was just curious, not trying to point fingers. :)

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Of the most common styles, where are you trying to take this tree? That would influence your decision on the front.
Good question, I think I'm looking for something informal upright like. I'm having a hard time with this one. I'm not afraid to cut.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I listened to some suggestions and decided to increase the height by bringing one of those top branches up and hopefully reducing the t-bar affect. 20210629_150420.jpg

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Woke up early so I wired this guy. Trying to define the pads a little. Do you think the four stacked are distracting? I like them but they create really sharp angles.
20210717_083742.jpg20210717_083724.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this is a good start and I would not remove any more at this time. Give it a year or two to recover now.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I kept looking at it and I just didn't like a couple of branches that were on the left. So I removed them and I think it looks a little less busy.
View attachment 388083

Stop messing with it. It needs all the foliage it has to recover now, not to mention get itself prepared for winter. Juniper rely on their foliage for that...
Bonsai is done in stages over many years, not over a few weeks
LEAVE IT ALONE

Top Bottom