One of my favorite pots

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I have this shohin Yoshimura pot for a trident. This pot is carved from a solid block of clay. It is glazed inside and out, underneath and the glaze is left off just enough for his Hanko.

I have quite a few yoshimura/syuho pots signed the same way and a few that are signed in the clay but I doubt if any of mine were carved out of a solid block of clay. How can you tell?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are a very valuable member here, dont let anything keep you away. For those of us who live and breathe pots, you are a rock star

Keep it up

Strong buds,
big D

I don't know what that made me smile so big, but it did. I originally became a chef because I wanted to be a rockstar but was to lazy to learn guitar(thanks tony!). Weird how things come full circle.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I'll weigh on this "speckling" issue as Nathan brought it to my attention. Al, the speckling we're talking about here is, I think, silver in color, or at the very least metallic. Brian, it does appear crystalline in nature, and doesn't look trapped within the glaze, but rather appears on the surface. I believe this is uniquely Japanese. While there are examples of Oribe pottery that predate Japanese use, I've never seen anything Chinese before 1940 with this technique.
In my research, Tofukuji pioneered this style of glaze, and it was picked up directly from him by Ino Shukuho. A generation later, potters like Aiba Koyo, Katoaka Shuho, and Shigeru Fukuda have emulated it to great effect. I think the best is Ino Shukuho, a significant portion of his pots have this glaze.
12-8e38080xe380809-8e38080xe380804-2e38080efbd83efbd8d.jpg
Shukuho
22e38080xe3808017-1e38080xe380803-7e38080efbd83efbd8d.jpg
Shukuho
yotofo19.jpg
Tofukuji
20120119-095051.jpg
Bushuan, previously of my collection. Really takes those silver speckles to the limit!
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Ryan. Interesting, on my Koyo, some of the crystals seem to break the surface of the glaze. But the stain seems to be beneath it.

That Tofukuji is one special pot. WOW.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I will post a few more tomorrow that have a little more speckling

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Plus one more

Plus one on this. We need knowledgeable people like you here. And it's not all abut the pots, you've prob. Seen more good trees than most of us put together.

Plus another. Ryan, I look forward to anything you contribute here and on your own site, which as you know, I am a very frequent visitor.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And here's one of my current favorites(probably because I only got it a week ago). The speckling is confined to the top and rim, with some pretty awesome blue-green drippy glaze below. Shigeru Fukuda, Bushuan kiln.
20121217-232545.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The one on the stand in the post above is meltingly beautiful. Have you ever seen this pot paired with a tree?

The other pots are very cool too, thanks for posting these pics.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bravo!!

What a great showing of glazed bonsai containers.

Indeed, the speckling displayed on most of these pots is a result of pyroxene crystals that form during the cooling phase of a glaze firing.

Pyroxene crystals are the silicates that form from minerals such as iron, copper, magnesium, and calcium (to name a few) when they are cooled very slowly. Pyroxene crystals are very common in nature and found in many ingenious rocks.

The chemistry of the glaze, the application of the glaze, the placement of the container in the kiln, the way the kiln is fired, and most importantly, the way the kiln is cooled all effect the final outcome of these types of finishes.

There is even a specialty class of ceramic finishes that are know as Crystalline glazes and many of the results are simply spectacular.

Dave, that's a great pot. I would have no trouble sitting and looking at that one myself.

Ryan, I appreciate all the research that you have done regarding Japanese bonsai containers and enjoy your blog very much. Keep up the good work and don't let the negative people get to you.

Cheers,
Paul

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Tough to follow those posted by Ryan but here are a few of my speckled beauties.
These 3 are Koyos.
speckle3.JPG
speckle4.JPG
speckle5.JPG

This one is a Hekisui with a crazy amount of speckling, more so spotting
speckle.JPG

Yamaaki
speckle1.JPG

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Last one and one of my favorites a Syuho, kinda similiar glaze and speckling to the Syuho that started this post
speckle2.JPG

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Dick you should start a thread with pots with frogs, crabs, or other critters incorporated into them. It will be a fun post

Top Bottom