One of my Fukes

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Below is a pic of a 40 year old fuke. I know the lower trunk is a bit knobby, but what do you think? How ought I improve it?

Attachments

• Fukien Tea 40.jpg
    Fukien Tea 40.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 73

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Foliage pads

The picture is a bit odd but I would say the first thing I would do is to clean up the foliage pads.

I also noticed that the bottom three branches have some growth at the outsides of the pads. I think that you should encourage these; it fills out the overall shape of the tree and balances the right hand side as far as proportion goes.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would you consider airlayering this? Looks like you can have a potentially better tree (or trees) if you do. Just a thought.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would you consider airlayering this? Looks like you can have a potentially better tree (or trees) if you do. Just a thought.

Out of curiosity, were you thinking where the indent in the lower trunk is (I think it is a compression wound)?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

This would be a possibility I would look at.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Out of curiosity, were you thinking where the indent in the lower trunk is (I think it is a compression wound)?

At the widest part just below the lowest pad probably do a diagonal ring there to get a wide base. The "new tree" will be tilted to the left...if that makes sense.

As shown here...View attachment 28222

OR...there could be a better area hidden under the foliage of the lowest (left) branch...which will be removed anyway should he choose to go this route.

Last edited:

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the input, and to everyone who took the time. The pads are indeed in need of tidying up, but it was just repotted, and I like to give the roots a chance to get some carbs before trimming. As for the air layer, I'm just not that brave. Is the suggestion due to the bare lower trunk? If so, what do you think about a thread graft instead?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Air layering straight across at the skinny part of the trunk might give something like this:

Chris

Attachments

• fukien_2.jpg
    fukien_2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think they were suggesting the layer because from the angle of the photo provided there appear to be some inverse taper. It might be that from a slightly different angle that the inverse taper wouldn't be the case due to the musculature and twisting of the trunk, but hard to tell from one photo. I think the layer option could provide for a stronger and more compact design, and although it is a more advanced technique, even I have had success with it with tropicals (ficus b.) when the weather is warmer.
It is a respectable tree as is. An alternative would be to grow out a sacrifice branch from the back where the trunk is skinniest. If it doesn't bud there naturally, a graft would certainly put it in the right place.

Thanks for posting,
David

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, my eyes have been opened by your photoshop edit of my picture. Nice job, that really does work. And you're right about the backwards thing. How does that happen?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about this...just tilt it about 10* to the left, lower the right branch a bit and a little trim...

Less drastic and can give you time to review other options.

The problem for me on the original are:
1. The straight horizontal trunk between the 2 lower branches moving from left to right.
2. Reverse taper just below the first branch.

Tilting it a bit, takes care of the horizontal branch making it move upwards.

After the tilt, I would also consider rotating the pot a bit counter clockwise to "shorten" the appearance of the "horizontal branch".

View attachment 28296

Last edited:

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input. You're absolutely right about changing the angle. In fact that's my bad, when I repotted it, I didn't pay close enough attention to the angle.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure I like the idea of tilting the trunk or removing the lower right branch. What about simply potting it in a slightly larger pot, and a bit to the left of center? I was also futzing a bit with the lower left foliage mass, trying to see if it could be brought down lower and used to partially obscure the constriction in the trunk. I don't know if that could work...the trunk doesn't really bother me too much but would have to see it in person to be sure.

Chris

Attachments

• fukien3.jpg
    fukien3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom