One tool, Dremel or Die Grinder?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No one has mentioned a flexible shaft tool. In my opinion it’s the best of both worlds. It has the power and torque to run a nibbler and a small hand piece to allow for the smallest detail work.
I know the Foredom is the standard, but I do have a flexible shaft for the Dremel. Haven't tried it with my nibbler yet though.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have always had the Dremels and the Roto-Zip. The former is easier to master. The latter is more like a pit bull...:eek:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know the Foredom is the standard, but I do have a flexible shaft for the Dremel. Haven't tried it with my nibbler yet though.
Dremel doesn’t have the power to drive a nibbler. I’m a Foredom advocate however there are numerous knockoffs that are cheaper. If you’re not going to use it everyday they’re probably okay. Foredoms brushless motors are amazing. They are variable speed, can do 20K rpm and produce full torque at low rpm. I sound like a salesman and I was a dealer at one time. I use mine everyday for one thing or another.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No one has mentioned a flexible shaft tool. In my opinion it’s the best of both worlds. It has the power and torque to run a nibbler and a small hand piece to allow for the smallest detail work.
These are great. I have one from my old lapidary days. Unfortunately, not portable enough for my use now.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dremel doesn’t have the power to drive a nibbler. I’m a Foredom advocate however there are numerous knockoffs that are cheaper. If you’re not going to use it everyday they’re probably okay. Foredoms brushless motors are amazing. They are variable speed, can do 20K rpm and produce full torque at low rpm. I sound like a salesman and I was a dealer at one time. I use mine everyday for one thing or another.

It's worked okay for me, but I haven't done anything major and haven't used the flex shaft (like you say, I'm sure the Dremel's torque wouldn't be good enough for the nibbler and the flex shaft).

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll second the safety of Dremel over many other brands. Still regrowing fingernails removed by a B&D tool a while ago.
High torque sounds good, but unless you're working soft wood your bit will go wild as soon as it catches a random bit of cross grain. Using a Dremel for a couple years, I became accustomed to being able to momentarily reduce the speed when necessary just by applying greater pressure, then ramping up the speed for harder digging when appropriate. You can make use of a much narrower range of bits that way, in stead of having to change bits every few minutes.
Not an option with higher torqued machines. They can dig faster, but you have to change bits whenever you try to move to a new angle on your piece. This could be a bigger issue on the wood carvings I make vs deadwood on trees. I have no trees that need carving so I'm not sure.
Hard woods vs soft definitely makes a huge difference, though, I can say. Counterintuitively, lower torque on harder wood is advised, and just take your time.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's worked okay for me, but I haven't done anything major and haven't used the flex shaft (like you say, I'm sure the Dremel's torque wouldn't be good enough for the nibbler and the flex shaft).
After watching the posted video, it seems like it does push that nibbler. Mine is a bit larger than the one they’re using but I’ll stick with the Foredom. 😎

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would advise against it. The flexible shaft is too small, and the chuck does not hold enough length of the bit compared to its total length. The run out will be excessive, and you can bend the nibbler. I bent the large R-Terrier this way.

I have read Graham Potter's instructions after the fact o_O

Luckily, my local locksmith was able to straighten it, but still it is weakened and I have to be very careful with it now in order not to break it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one tool that suits carving with a reciprocating blade set and grinding with a variety of attachments. My son purchased it when attending Kokufu in 2011. Works great, lots of power and full range of attachments including flex shaft if desired. Japanese manufactured for the Bonsai industry. HCT 30. I have used this tool since 2013, no trouble still works just like day one. Smooth, easy to hold and work with. I find the blade attachment very useful for detail shaping and smoothing of surfaces. Not sure of the cost in todays market. Package with tool, bits and additional blade attachment ran approximately $500 USD in 2011. Next time I return to Japan I will look for a few spare blades of varying sizes and a nibbler or two. Originals still working fine the ability to continue work without cleaning and sharpening in the process is worth something.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 28

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had some cheap Chinese equipment I used before, but after reading this thread I finally bit the bullet and bought the Dremel 8220 and the Parkside battery-operated die grinder. Time to start winter carving plans! :)

IMG20231125121608.jpg
IMG20231125121650.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would advise against it. The flexible shaft is too small, and the chuck does not hold enough length of the bit compared to its total length. The run out will be excessive, and you can bend the nibbler. I bent the large R-Terrier this way.

I have read Graham Potter's instructions after the fact o_O

Luckily, my local locksmith was able to straighten it, but still it is weakened and I have to be very careful with it now in order not to break it.
Is this attachment what you guys are talking about? It's been attached to my dremel for so long now I forgot the name of it🤔
I don't use the nibbler on my dremel anymore I much prefer the feel of the makita and terrier, feel like there's much more control. And power. Only use dremel for smaller jobs, the roto saws are great with a dremel and can give great hollowing out results with lots of control.
The hollow on the hornbeam is mostly rotosaw, rotary wirebrush and dremel
I also feel like this attachment gives you great control with it's ergonomic design

Attachments

• 20231125_175352.jpg
    20231125_175352.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231031_130717.jpg
    20231031_130717.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Graham and Ramon use similar attachments in many of the videos for the light work

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this attachment what you guys are talking about? It's been attached to my dremel for so long now I forgot the name of it🤔
I don't use the nibbler on my dremel anymore I much prefer the feel of the makita and terrier, feel like there's much more control. And power. Only use dremel for smaller jobs, the roto saws are great with a dremel and can give great hollowing out results with lots of control.
The hollow on the hornbeam is mostly rotosaw, rotary wirebrush and dremel
I also feel like this attachment gives you great control with it's ergonomic design

Yep, that's the flex shaft (not sure that's the actual name, but it's what I've always called it).

Top Bottom