Opinions and input on Juniper branch repair.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping for some feedback on steps to take to attempt mending a cracked branch. The tree in question is a Spartan Juniper. While making some adjustments yesterday I cracked the front most branch of what forms my apex on the tree. it was not completely severe and is still roughly fifty percent attached. I haven't cracked a branch in a long time so I suppose hubris is to blame.

So far, I have the branch still wired, I applied some cut paste around the wound and wrapped the site with raffia (soaked). However, I've seen it suggested to just use super glue. So, my question is, should I just stick with what I've done or go back in and just apply glue. I realize there's a decent chance this break just became a deadwood feature but I think there's a reasonable chance it can be saved. Any feedback or other methods will be appreciated, thank you.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was hoping for some feedback on steps to take to attempt mending a cracked branch. The tree in question is a Spartan Juniper. While making some adjustments yesterday I cracked the front most branch of what forms my apex on the tree. it was not completely severe and is still roughly fifty percent attached. I haven't cracked a branch in a long time so I suppose hubris is to blame.

So far, I have the branch still wired, I applied some cut paste around the wound and wrapped the site with raffia (soaked). However, I've seen it suggested to just use super glue. So, my question is, should I just stick with what I've done or go back in and just apply glue. I realize there's a decent chance this break just became a deadwood feature but I think there's a reasonable chance it can be saved. Any feedback or other methods will be appreciated, thank you.
How big is the branch? If the branch is thick enough, you might be able to get a drop of super glue onto the split heartwood... you don't want to get it on the cambium as that will inhibit callus formation. Also, I've used wood screws to pull two pieces together to facilitate healing if the branch is large enough to place the screw effectively. If the wire and rafia have apposed the edges of the split effectively, that might be enough.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How big is the branch? If the branch is thick enough, you might be able to get a drop of super glue onto the split heartwood... you don't want to get it on the cambium as that will inhibit callus formation. Also, I've used wood screws to pull two pieces together to facilitate healing if the branch is large enough to place the screw effectively. If the wire and rafia have apposed the edges of the split effectively, that might be enough.
More or less pencil thick at the site of the break. So glue would be possible, I think. I'm at work ATM, but I may incorporate both. I figure the cut paste would help the cambium layer heal? It's kind of a bummer because we're going to the open house celebration at Eisei-en next week and this was the tree I was going to take to the byot workshop and now it's on the disabled list, heh.

CptnGlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have repaired branches simply by wrapping with grafting tape before. Never juniper though, so I can’t give you any specific advice. I would say if it’s wired up and wrapped in raffia then you’ve more chance of doing more damage trying to redo it so you can glue it than any benefit gained.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please provide your location in your profile. While the above responses are helpful, it would help to know your climate. It is hard to give the best advice when we don't know if you are in Alaska or Florida, or anywhere else in the world.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please provide your location in your profile. While the above responses are helpful, it would help to know your climate. It is hard to give the best advice when we don't know if you are in Alaska or Florida, or anywhere else in the world.
Apologies, I'm in zone 6 /Southern Indiana. I'll edit my profile as soon as I get another opportunity.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The raffia and paste should suffice. It’s really about closing the split as best as you can. Accidentally cracked a branch on a western juniper a couple months back and applied some wound sealant(the liquid version to promote healing) and then the putty to seal the crack. Closed it all off with raffia to keep it together. The branch never skipped a beat and the foliage is still looking good(actually saw foliage tip growth after as well).

With the cold nights the midwest have been having this past week, I’d personally baby it for a bit myself.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The procedure you have adopted should work very well and I would not recommend trying to redo it. Bare in mind that you should avoid undo stress to the damaged area for a couple of years.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Raffia and cut paste should allow a cracked juniper to heal as well as any other method.
Be aware that any damaged section will ALWAYS be more susceptible to damage. So many times I have wired and bent section only to realize it was previously broken - but not until it broke again to remind me. It will look great from the outside but with broken wood inside it does not have strength.

The real question here is whether the broken section is really needed. Far too often we develop overly tall trees that would be far better shorter but don't have the courage to make the chop. I have a number of much better trees as the result of similar breaks or accidental shortenings so look really carefully at possible height/width reduction before going to extremes to save broken sections.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The real question here is whether the broken section is really needed. Far too often we develop overly tall trees that would be far better shorter but don't have the courage to make the chop. I have a number of much better trees as the result of similar breaks or accidental shortenings so look really carefully at possible height/width reduction before going to extremes to save broken sections.
This is very true but not always in line with my intentions. Fortunately my wife is a bit wild with the leaf blower and weed eater, so this is something I learned from her. :rolleyes:

kamai966

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m so glad I joined Bonsai Nut. The exact situation happened to me 2 days ago same branch thickness. Thanks for all the remedies shared. Much Mahalo

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m so glad I joined Bonsai Nut. The exact situation happened to me 2 days ago same branch thickness. Thanks for all the remedies shared. Much Mahalo
Mine seems to have taken the break in stride. No signs of weak or dying foliage. I still have all of it's bandages on but so far so good. Best of luck with yours.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you are going to use glue, use wood glue or epoxy. Super glue will not work on wood. If you do an epoxy repair correctly, the repair will be stronger than the surrounding wood.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are going to use glue, use wood glue or epoxy. Super glue will not work on wood. If you do an epoxy repair correctly, the repair will be stronger than the surrounding wood.
I used cut paste and a snug application of rafia. I considered using an adhesive but decided I didn't trust myself to undo all of the wound site and cleanly put it back together.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Gorilla Glue can be painted and sanded. Tether wire can tension the break and hold it together if it didn't break .....OFF.

Top Bottom