Outstanding shohin white pine pre stock

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi John,, I was wondering if I would be able to draw you out with this pine;)... That white pine from Japan is probably one of, if not the best shohin I have ever seen...If it is for sale... I'll give them $25 american dollars for it..What, no good?? Ok, I can go as high as $30:p

Man, I can't stop looking at that pine.. The power of it and how is that tree fitting into that pot.. I can't recall ever seeing a pine in a pot where there is absolutely no room. Thanks John.. This is really a remarkable tree.

Rob

Good_Ol_JR

Seedling
Reaction score
Rob, Sure I'll see what I can get together. Here are a few links for starters:
http://www.shohin-europe.com/PHOTOS-Kato-2005.htm - I cant link to individual trees b/c it is in flash but there are like 4 nice trees among these pics.
http://www.shohin-europe.com/PHOTOS-kojuen2011.htm
http://www.shohin.org.uk/?page_id=613
http://www.shohin.org.uk/?page_id=177 - just one but very nice
http://www.shohin.org.uk/?page_id=519
http://www.shohin-bonsai.ne.jp/2011auction/2011auc.pdf
I will try to scan a few pages from my shohin books tomm.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found the right book!

Here is what I found.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_00030003.JPG
    DSC_00030003.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_00060004.JPG
    DSC_00060004.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_00070005.JPG
    DSC_00070005.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 32

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some more for you to ponder.

Attachments

• DSC_00080006.JPG
    DSC_00080006.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_00090007.JPG
    DSC_00090007.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_00130008.JPG
    DSC_00130008.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_00140009.JPG
    DSC_00140009.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_00150010.JPG
    DSC_00150010.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 28

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and the last few.

I think you can do these proud with that material.

Attachments

• DSC_00160011.JPG
    DSC_00160011.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_00170012.JPG
    DSC_00170012.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 32

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Look out Victrinia, I can see that Rob may now have some ideas about that root stand you have.:p Although it is a different styling, but ......

That Urishibata pine is a beauty, thanks John.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks JR and Smoke.. Wow.. All those shohins are just remarkable... Probably some of the best the world has to offer...

Al... I love all you posted. I think that this one is the one that my pine will probably end up looking like. Simply because it will be the closest style to the natural look of the tree. I must say that even after being involved with bonsai for about 12 years.. These trees had my jaw on the floor... Whenever I see pics from Japan, I am just in awe of the trees, the skill and the patience involved with these masterpieces. I must say that as happy as I am to see these.. There is a subtle sadness as well.. I think about how material like that is like 1 in hundreds of thousands of trees. I think about the lack of great material. Also, if you do find a gem, will the price be within my range. I am grateful that I was extremely lucky with my tree.... I guess when you score something like this, it probably makes you appreciate it and respect it more. Simply because it is such a rare thing. Although it may be a premature thought. There is a good chance that this pine might turn out to be one of the best shohin's I will ever own. Especially since it took me years to find just this one.

Rob

DSC_00090007[1].JPG

SantaCruzin

Seedling
Reaction score
Was this one of Master Ishii's grafts by any chance? Very stunning tree!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello SantaCruzin..I believe the tree is originally from Japan. I purchased it at New england Bonsai Gardens in Bellingham Massachusetts. It was probably at the nursery for a few years.

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice Rob. Another great choice in white pine. Was at the nursery today, picked up a shimpaku from the sell down table.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Must have been a bad cold Eric, it been some time, oh I see, you mean you are attached to it as well.:p

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Tom... Are you going to post the new juni in the junipers thread? I was at NE Bonsai a couple of weeks ago and there was some workable material on the benches.

Hello Bill and Ang3lfir3.. I am starting a new bonsai stand donation organization. The organization is made up of me. Feel free to donate that stand and any others that are taking up space in your yard and home..;)

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Tom... Are you going to post the new juni in the junipers thread? I was at NE Bonsai a couple of weeks ago and there was some workable material on the benches.

Hello Bill and Ang3lfir3.. I am starting a new bonsai stand donation organization. The organization is made up of me. Feel free to donate that stand and any others that are taking up space in you yard and home..;)

It's one of the imported itioigawa shimpakus that were on the summer sell down benches. It's styled similar to what we are trying to achieve on the yamadori style thread Al started. I'll post it when I have done some work to it.

For what it's worth I would love a root stand as well!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you know if NEBGS is open this week end, I'll check anyway, but you got me going now, so I imagine I'll be there in the next couple of week ends.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you know if NEBGS is open this week end, I'll check anyway, but you got me going now, so I imagine I'll be there in the next couple of week ends.
I beleive they are open every thurs-sun. I have my second kaikou class on Saturday so I know they are open then.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Was thinking Sunday, but maybe Sat. makes sense, if I get there Sat. I'll stick my head in and see whats up.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Bill and Tom.. Actually, I am teaching the Bonsai 2.0 class on Saturday. John is teaching the Kaikou class. I'll probably see you both up there.. That is if Bill goes up on Saturday as well.;)

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello Bill and Tom.. Actually, I am teaching the Bonsai 2.0 class on Saturday. John is teaching the Kaikou class. I'll probably see you both up there.. That is if Bill goes up on Saturday as well.;)

Rob

Teaching? About darned time... :) We should swap lessons... I know you have a few tricks you could show me, and I know I have a few I could show you. :cool:

V

Top Bottom