Overwintering Mums

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started some Mums as bonsai earlier this year and am wondering if anyone has experience overwintering them.
I'm in zone 5 if that helps. Thanks

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it is done more outside the U.S. but it is done none the less.
I've included a couple photos in my response.
As you can see it's budded pretty well but I'm not sure I'll see blooms this year or not.
It's already into the 40's here at night. Thats why I asked the question to begin with.
I'm hopin to just get this through the winter and work some more on shaping them next year.

Attachments

• PA040210.JPG
    PA040210.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
  • PA040212.JPG
    PA040212.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 43

BonsaiSteve

Seedling
Reaction score
I have not had experience, but there are annual and perennial mums if I'm not mistaken. If you have the non-hardy type, maybe keep them indoors for the winter?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Overwintering, as was mentioned, depends on the variety and your location. In Zone 5, you're going to have to provide substantial protection for your mums.

Also since you're trying not only to keep them alive, but to increase their trunk size next year, you cannot cut them back for storage under mulch (as is usually recommended).

A cold greenhouse would be most appropriate, but there might be local mum enthusiasts who can advise you better.

Mums aren't strangers to bonsai. The Japanese have been making bonsai from them for quite a while. There is a 200 page hard cover book called "The Art of the Chrysanthemum" out there. It's worth finding if you're really serious about this. It is dedicated to bonsai mums. It will cost you upwards of $50 if you can find it.

http://www.thegardenlady.org/2008/11/17/chrysanthemum-bonsai-in-japan/
Should be noted the mum bonsai on this page are tanuki (thin trunk grafted or grown on larger dead trunks). Still impressive, though

Top Bottom