Oxide question

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This is 1:1 stain with nepheline Syenite.

Both mixed with water and sprayed through an airbrush. I like the yellow but the grey is a little too shiny. I think less coats would be better. the grey is almost a dark greenD912535B-AE10-4FE6-8AFD-3D6C20E519C3.jpeg

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a 14x11x4 that is straight RIO sprayed. I love the color and fake patina look. It’s tough to beat

View attachment 409678
When you spray this on, do you do anything to mixture to keep better suspension with water? Do you add Bentonite? I will sometime use strait oxides but have to shake up the mixture often, and would like to get more consistent water to oxide suspension. Thanks-- Rob

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Here is the same mason stain one with nepheline Syenite and one with greatly borate
When you spray this on, do you do anything to mixture to keep better suspension with water? Do you add Bentonite? I will sometime use strait oxides but have to shake up the mixture often, and would like to get more consistent water to oxide suspension. Thanks-- Rob
I do not use anything I just shake it real good before I put in the sprayer and keep shaking it

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is the same mason stain one with nepheline Syenite and one with greatly borate

I do not use anything I just shake it real good before I put in the sprayer and keep shaking it
Thanks, that's what I have done-- I have tried a little defloculent, but it really does not work in that volume. Thanks so much for the reply-- beautiful work!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your use of stains is very interesting and completely different than the usual use of stains that involves gradients of hue and color. I like the pebbled look but I wonder how well they endure. You are using stains and oxides as a surface treatment whereas my use of stains and oxides typically involves getting the stains deeply into the pores or the clay body and wiping the surface.
This is no criticism, I like your work but your finished product is more like a mat glaze. I would be curious to see one of these pots after a few years of weathering.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It is hard to say. I only have one pot that has a tree in it And it’s only been outside for a year and it really hasn’t changed much. I’m hoping to get a few more trees in some of my pots this spring and I’ll get back to you in a few years. 😀

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did you do the same thing with those stains, mix with Neph Sy? Perhaps adding to a matt base glaze would be interesting.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you do the same thing with those stains, mix with Neph Sy? Perhaps adding to a matt base glaze would be interesting.
I like using Gherstly Borate when you can find it. Otherwise a frit like 3143. I use a very small amount to act only as a bonding agent with a nice mat finish.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I used GB but it’s still shiny. I am going to try NS and see how it works or try and just spray it straight.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used GB but it’s still shiny. I am going to try NS and see how it works or try and just spray it straight.
You shouldn't be getting a shiny finish if you use just a little GB or frit. I have not used NS for this purpose. Someone else mentioned possible use of a clear mat glaze.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You shouldn't be getting a shiny finish if you use just a little GB or frit. I have not used NS for this purpose. Someone else mentioned possible use of a clear mat glaze.
I think I might be using too much GB. I was using 2:1 stain to GB

Top Bottom