P. Afra hasn't grown much

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My P. afra hasn't grown very much in a year. Could it be a lack of food? I kept forgetting to feed it when I had it inside over the winter, and now it keeps raining and I don't want to add more water. Should I buy a dry fertilizer?

This is how it has progressed over the past year. Last fall I chopped the roots off and grew them back to try and give it a root flare, but it didn't grow much even before that. Though the roots that grew back look super healthy and completely filled the air pot it was in, so I finally moved it to a bonsai training pot.

20200804_223156.jpg 20200922_094857.jpg 20210627_160541.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
why don't you just fertilize with what you have?

If it is warm, these love water & fertilizr

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
why don't you just fertilize with what you have?

If it is warm, these love water & fertilizr
I had a problem last year with all my ports dropping all their leaves for no apparent reason. People kept suggesting overwatering, so it made me really cautious with water. Personally I don't really believe it was water but I'm no expert and I didn't want to argue. I think it may have been an invisible pest but I never figured out the cause. This one wasn't affected mysteriously and I still don't understand it.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While this species and other succulents like crassula are often mentioned as good options for notherners because they can technically come inside, the caveat is that they're at a virtual standstill when they are indoors (esp. for development purposes). Northern summer heat is also short-lived, so in comparison to someone growing in a succulent-friendly climate, the plant is developing on a much, much slower timeline (for everything: growth, recovery after operations, etc).

Lack of light and lack of ambient heat are your main challenge growing p. afra in Michigan (as opposed to fertilizer). To put it another way, you could grow a p. afra the size of a school bus using zero fertilizer as long as you had enough sustained heat and sun. Its consumption of water goes hand-in-hand with the application of light and heat, so another way to interpret the "overwatering" comments you have received elsewhere is "underlighting/underheating". You could water a p. afra much more frequently if you had it in very hot, very bright conditions and in a drain-happy, oxygen-rich medium. If it's sipping water quickly, then it's adding mass quickly.

Since you are not in Florida, SoCal, Corpus Christi, etc, this species is going to grow very slowly unless you envelop it in heat and intense light, and this is true whether you have a big container or not, or whether you give it a strong fertilizer or not. Fertilizer can only extend and enhance the growth that's already happening, after all. I have a 280 day growing season with hot dry summers and very strong winter grow lights and still struggle to match even a fraction of the momentum that a p. afra or other succulent attains effortlessly when left unattended on a porch in suburban San Diego. It may be time for a mini grow tent or a bit of a re-think re: zone envy!

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get some granular controlled release or organic fertilizer and plunk it down in the pot? Then it gets fertilizer every time it's watered, whether by you or by rain.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with MaciekA. Heat and light are key.
I made some cuttings about a month ago. No matter what the soil is, no matter if you water them regularly,..... all of them , all the sizes are growing as crazy (about 2cm per week) , and I think it is all because the sun and heat I have had last month.
Just take a look at the bottom right portulacaria.....it was only a trunk cutting with no roots or leaves 3 weeks ago:
DSC_7703.NEF.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agreed with everyone here. Light and heat.

Maine, under (good) lights for a month after getting cuttings from @Carol 83 (thanks!).

May 18th
PXL_20210518_141224641.jpg

June 14th
PXL_20210614_121626277.jpg

Now outside (gave one to my nephew):
PXL_20210629_094639103.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Overwatering P afra is a misconception, depending on what type of soil its in. If its in a free draining inorganic substrate, they cannot get overwatered.

With daily watering in summer and heavy ferts, you should be able to 12-24” extensions. Since you live in northern michigan, I have no idea how they will grow in winter (mine are outside all year)

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just chiming in to say that I get *feet* of growth over winter in a south-facing window in cloudy Pennsylvania - without any supplemental light at all. I water once a week or less in winter and barely fertilize until summer.

Here's one of mine, first photo in October, second photo in March:
IMG_20200903_222633.jpgPXL_20210318_040656116.jpg
Clip and GROW, 2-3 times a year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounds like you had enough water with light that could work before.

And enough light but not enough water now, except for that rain thing.

Sorce

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks all, seems like I'll just water it more. I have them in a mostly pumice based mix with a little coco coir so it should be fine I think.

Top Bottom