Pacific silver fir (Abies amabilis) aka lovely fir

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
“Lovely” might be a stretch for this particular tree.

Collected early November 2023 in the Cascade Range. 5020’ elevation.
Warm and wet conditions. No snow.

On a ridge top, slight northern aspect. Located in partial shade from another large fir. Growing in well drained, pumice-rich soil.

1699284202509.jpeg

Tree displays a broken top and flowing dead branches.
There appears to be evidence of beetles. Galleries beneath the bark would be a neat feature.
1699284253205.jpeg
1699284281849.jpeg

Minor amount of growth low on the trunk. If it survives, this could be useful down the road.
1699284329361.jpeg

Digging was effortless. The tree came out easily with a fair amount of roots.
1699284393710.jpeg

Planted in 18” wooden box. 1/4” wire mesh stapled in below.
1699284506789.jpeg

Substrate is a mix of native soil and collected pumice.
1699284557652.jpeg

Tree placed in partial shade. The plan is to keep it there through this winter and summer of ‘24.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome specimen but would greatly improve with some root flare. Looking forward to seeing some responses from more experienced folks.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome specimen but would greatly improve with some root flare. Looking forward to seeing some responses from more experienced folks.

Thanks. It actually has some decent root flare, but it was buried to help protect surface roots.
I’ll share a pic tomorrow.

Last edited:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow, those are some GORGEOUS roots! Look forward to seeing this tree getting styled in a few years. I’m very interested in seeing more of our PNW native conifers as bonsai. I got a mountain hemlock yesterday, and am keeping my eye out for any nice collected Abies.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you collect in the fall because it would be mid summer before the snow melts?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I also collect in Spring and Summer. The timing has more to do with opportunity and where I’m working.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One of my fav trees around here - but the flat foilage makes it a bit tricky imho.
Same here!
In what way is the foliage tricky? Do you mean the flatness creates a wide profile?

With enough light, new foliage should form more vertically oriented.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same here!
In what way is the foliage tricky? Do you mean the flatness creates a wide profile?

With enough light, new foliage should form more vertically oriented.
The foilage naturally grows "flat" instead of from all sides of the branch. (Ie, the needles are on one plain as if pressed flat. Like yews.). I find it hard to make nice "pads" with it. :/ But i love the bark.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stupendously lovely tree. Great potential. Natural dead apex a huge plus😌. Would strongly suggest systemic bugicide/tree may have a borer or three.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A welcome sign of recovery, buds opening.
It seems early given how recently the tree was collected and for the elevation change. Noble fir does not seem to adjust as quickly.
1713743879326.jpeg
1713743898913.jpeg

Another observation. Epicormic branching, which is just a fancy way of saying it can bud from branch collars along the trunk.
1713744019061.jpeg

Top Bottom