Paris

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am pleased to hear that you son is on the mend. What I find intriguing is that you automatically attribute this occurrence you describe to being a miracle. Doctors are not perfect. They make mistakes. They make errors in diagnosis, and they do not yet fully understand all the human body's processes. Because this stroke of good luck (whether it be a miracle or not) happened, and was coincidental with the timing of his trip, you just assume it to be a miracle. It's weird you know, because for a few years I really hoped and prayed for some indication from God that he was real. Some little thing to secure my belief. Never once for me. Always totally unselfish, and never once the slightest indication that any prayer was answered. I just find this odd. Why if God wants us to follow his word does he not just reveal himself to us so that we know who is who and we can just all get on with being good Christians?
That was my question! When I was an atheist that was my argument. Then one day I met someone who cared to share this; He said "if God did that then we would be following God out of fear and realize we really had no choice. " We would be slaves in other words, God wants people that follow him out of love. It seems that choice is most important to God as far as we are concerned.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was my question! When I was an atheist that was my argument. Then one day I met someone who cared to share this; He said "if God did that then we would be following God out of fear and realize we really had no choice. " We would be slaves in other words, God wants people that follow him out of love. It seems that choice is most important to God as far as we are concerned.

That's pretty deep Vance...thanks for sharing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Your welcome...I try not to get into threads that argue difference of religion. Because I know without a shadow of a doubt...I am a woman who will not be persuaded otherwise by the experiences that has happened in my life. But it's more than a book with text "The bible"... That has grounded our families faith. It is a good foundation building tool to know though. But, as I am firm in my belief...I am also of the understanding others might be as inclined to feel strongly of theirs. Even without the personal experience that we have to back ours...I refuse to argue my faith. Because in my eyes. It stands alone and I do not need to defend it. I pray for those...that somehow that something opens their eyes...but that is where I draw the line. I won't go further. I respect your posts here though. For it gave ones food for thought to chew over.

I love sharing times when God revealed himself so strongly in our lives. Because those times were astoundingly changed for the better, that there is no scientific reasoning how it happened to explain otherwise. Just facts as they happened is pretty hard to discredit...when I share it openly and one can see the emotion that surly crosses my face. It's a testimony unto God...I'm grateful to have those times to share...if but one person is effected by our testimony...then it's just another reason to continue to share how amazing our God is! My son was 13 years old when that happened with his wrist...now, you want to hear something powerful is to hear the testimony come off his lips. It's earth shattering for ones to hear...he's older now...but, having a 13 year old stand up to offer ones his testimony is pretty powerful stuff. Still is to hear him tell it. Because it makes it more personal...coming from him. To hear his change in voice...of his own questioning of doubt in the back of his mind...of how badly he wanted to go on this mission trip. And being told it was out of the question...to being able to go. His description of what his bones looked like shattered in an X-ray. Yeah, mind blowing.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of h=the world to confound the things which are mighty; 1 Cor i: 27-28 You ought to read the rest it's really deep. The world is quick to tell you have stupid and ignorant you are, but you are not ignorant or stupid; just be strong, and love those who would do you harm if you can.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you for taking the time to post this but I don't see how mocking something can be taken as argument. On that issue I am not interested in arguments becuse arguments have winners and losers and very often it is not about who is right, but who has the loudest voice and able to verbally beat down his/her opponent. If you want to have a discussion lets start with this: What is there about the message of Jesus Christ that so offends you? There are more Buddists in the world than Christians. There are more Muslims in the world than Christians. I don't see you going after them. What's the deal?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That is true. But I have found out as was my case; sometimes God comes looking for you and gives you a little nudge in the right direction until you find him. However; this is the thing that bothers me the most. We are entering the time when men will search for God and not be able to find him.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are supposed to live our lives as though his return was going to be tomorrow and we are supposed to cary out our actions as though it is not in our life times.
Vance, I appreciate your taking the time to answer questions I've raised throughout this thread. I have to admit that I don't get this statement that you've written. How is "living your life" different or separate from "carry out your actions"? The two are completely intertwined. My actions are part of how I live my life.

I don't know if you miswrote something or not, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Vance, I appreciate your taking the time to answer questions I've raised throughout this thread. I have to admit that I don't get this statement that you've written. How is "living your life" different or separate from "carry out your actions"? The two are completely intertwined. My actions are part of how I live my life.

I'll let Vance explain himself, but it makes perfectly good sense to me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Even in Jesus's time there were groups that thought that the return of Jesus Christ was eminent so they sat around on a hill and waited for it to happen. There have been a couple of religions groups in the last Century that did the same thing and then had to rewrite their message to account for their failure. I could include names but we don't really have to go there. These people were certain that Jesus was going to return on such and such a date---they were wrong. Then you get the other side of the coin where believers are so tied up in religious dogma that they forget to prepare for the return of Jesus Christ and forget the love Jesus showed us and expected we should share. Then they lose their piety and become bored with God.

In short we are supposed to live our lives and be productive as though we knew Jesus was not comming for two-hundred years but; we are supposed to live our lives as though we expected it was going to happen tonight, and Jesus is going to take account. Jesus said: Behold I come as a thief in the night.

You fill in the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
N/A
Why would I fear a compassionate God who demonstrates his presence? That makes little sense to me. If I like others here believe he heals the sick and makes pastors do cartwheels, surely that is no different at all. Both would be manifestations in the physical world. Both would prove a God. If God is so cool that we love and worship Him, why would we fear him? Does Cadilactaste and her family fear God because he supposedly healed their son? No. They seem to be in awe. I'm not following that line of argument at all.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why do you think the Angles revolted, it is a matter of not really having or at least believing you have no choices? You are what you are and can be nothing different. It is the difference of being in a position that you must worship God and think God will strike you down if you don't.

djm4243

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Its human nature to fear the omnipotent. Reality and perception! God wants us to choose him, via free will. Everyone gets a chance [maybe ever more than one chance:)]

Reaction score
USDA Zone
N/A
I guess the point of the video is what makes a 13 year old kid's broken wrist going on a jolly to Honduras more important than the 13 year old kid in Honduras who has no parents, lives in the gutter, has no food security, is ill and has to look after his 7 and 4 year old brothers because their father was a drunk and their mother died of AIDS? I mean his wrist will heal. He's 13. He can go next time. It seems like a fairly arbitrary case to choose. This is another aspect I struggle with. God's selective kindness. I'll only be kind to them if they believe in me, but heaven help 'em if they don't, or have never heard of me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
N/A
Why do you think the Angles revolted, it is a matter of not really having or at least believing you have no choices? You are what you are and can be nothing different. It is the difference of being in a position that you must worship God and think God will strike you down if you don't.
I'm not sure what you mean by that first bit Vance, but if a compassionate and loving God clearly revealed himself to me through a specific and undeniable action, what would I have to fear? Why would I not worship such a God? If I were to pray for peace in the Middle East tonigh, and tomorrow morning, completely out of the blue, IS and Hamas etc etc all declared peace on the West and on other faiths and chose a democratic way of life, that's a God I'd worship for good reason. Why would I fear such a God? Of course you can be something different. Just look in the mirror, once an atheist and now a staunch believer. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess the point of the video is what makes a 13 year old kid going on a jolly to Honduras more important than the 13 year old kid in Honduras who has no parents, lives in the gutter, has no food security, is ill and has to look after his 7 and 4 year old brothers because their father was a drunk and their mother died of AIDS? This is another aspect I struggle with. God's selective kindness. I'll only be kind to them if they believe in me, but heaven help 'em if they don't, or have never heard of me.

We do mission work there...you are welcome to your opinion. Mission work is far from a vacation...we have established roots along with progress on our project. With ones we think of as extended family there. Your pokes at what I actually hold dear...will not provoke me into being nasty. I however choose to not be provoked by the likes of you. You will be added to my ignore list.

What my boys have gotten by giving of themselves to do God's work is by far what you could possibly grasp. I am beyond grateful that God chose this path for myself and family. With that...I say good day to you sir.

Top Bottom