Patina on American Pots

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Every pot that I have ever had that is
unglazed, where the inside and outside are for the most part the
same... The inside where the dirt was, always had more patina.

Interesting... to me this is definitely strange. It contradicts what Peter Tea has taught and also what I have seen with my own eyes.

If you have a chance I would love to see some of your pots that have more patina on the inside than the outside.

Here are a couple of my unglazed pots that pretty clearly show how the patina buildup stops below the soil line inside the pot.

BogW2eu.jpg

SvfiaEj.jpg

Reaction score
Interesting... to me this is definitely strange. It contradicts what Peter Tea has taught and also what I have seen with my own eyes.

If you have a chance I would love to see some of your pots that have more patina on the inside than the outside.

Here are a couple of my unglazed pots that pretty clearly show how the patina buildup stops below the soil line inside the pot.
I am sure I will get the chance...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A really dirty pot ie. calcium deposits can be cleaned by burying the pot for about three months. All the calcium will be eaten off the pot.

While some may find this crazy, I am not a big proponent of patina on my pots. I think they lose too much of the artists character when they get so dull.

The only time I find patina desirable is on an ancient coin. This, a favorite in my collection of Emperor Hadrian, 117 AD

Attachments

• DSC_00120001.JPG
    DSC_00120001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 36

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am sure I will get the chance...

Also please try to explain why patina has not formed on the inside of the pots I posted.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just what you are saying is completely new to me, and I don't understand it.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
A really dirty pot ie. calcium deposits can be cleaned by burying the pot for about three months. All the calcium will be eaten off the pot.

While some may find this crazy, I am not a big proponent of patina on my pots. I think they lose too much of the artists character when they get so dull.

The only time I find patina desirable is on an ancient coin. This, a favorite in my collection of Emperor Hadrian, 117 AD

ah come on Al lets shine that sucker up so that it gets some of its character back ;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While some may find that fertilizer patina desirable, I find it making the pot just look dirty and poorly kept up. I know its not, I just feel that way.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
my business is in an commercial/industrial area and i have often thought about putting them up on the roof of my building

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I'll just take mine up to the coal mines sometime...lol

I think you and Anthony share the same sentiment Al. I can see both preferences as well. I think I may have some pot's I'd like to stay true to the original and others I'd like to see age on. (Just a thought... some potters might actually feel honored that their pots are being used and allowed to age... similar to good wine.)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes my pots, other than some yahoo posting pics of arrow heads and coins this thread is about pots :)

Oh no I have the coins and the arrowheads as well as many household items from the roman era. I was wondering if you were going to put your plants up there like they do in Japan.

There are still guys in Sounthern Cal. that put their pots under the benches to develop patina on them from constant watering. All I see is they get dirty pots from fertilizer run off and water stains.

Actually the thread is about patina. Pots is just the item it is on. Patina is found on many things. Real patina is the result of chemical reactions, like on the coins and the arrowheads.

I am offended that you would think I would just post a picture off yahoo for a collection I have worked on for several years. There are 963 coins here. From 600 BC to 1180 AD

Attachments

• DSC_000100011.jpg
    DSC_000100011.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_00030003.JPG
    DSC_00030003.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I'll just take mine up to the coal mines sometime...lol

I think you and Anthony share the same sentiment Al. I can see both preferences as well. I think I may have some pot's I'd like to stay true to the original and others I'd like to see age on. (Just a thought... some potters might actually feel honored that their pots are being used and allowed to age... similar to good wine.)

If I were collecting antique pots with the desire to never use them but only collect them, I feel that patina would add real value for the pot. It would be sacrilage to remove it. In some cases though, heavy patina can obscure real nuance in a pot that adds caracter to the plant pot combination. I think patina on unglazed pot looks better than heavy patinas on glazed pots.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
american patina

you assume that we know who "Michael" is?

Good question. :)

Maybe most Americans scrub their pots too much...?...lol

When I was at Michael's in Feb., he made sure we only lightly wiped the pots clean with a soft towell so as not to rub away the patina. I never would have thought about it otherwise.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In some cases though, heavy patina can obscure real nuance in a pot that adds caracter to the plant pot combination. I think patina on unglazed pot looks better than heavy patinas on glazed pots.

I agree, but on the same token... patina may just be the added nuance that helps complete a composition. I think it really is just a case by case situation.

I'm looking at one of my Kokufu books right now; quite a few pots have no discernible patina at all, glazed or not. And many do. In some of the pots with patina I feel the composition is better for it, others not so much. And some could really use a bit. (Porcelain is one type that really just looks dirty with patina.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patina,

hmm, if your pot is porous, glaze does not fit the body,glass glaze is unbalanced, all of these can allow for chemical reactions.

Well fired stoneware is impervious to many substances, especially water, and it would take a very, very long time to affect a real surface change, same for a well balanced glaze, even on earthenware that is still porous as the body goes.
[ There is also earthenware that has been rendered non-porous.]

On netsuke of wood or ivory, and Yi-Xing teapots, the porous body allows for absorption, from oils, hand or walnut oil, and tea being constantly drawn at 90 dge.C.

Patina on well fired stable pottery bodies, would probably be just something organic, growing on it.

Personally, I would just buy a better grade of pottery, where the shape, colour and anything else, pleases my eyes and fingers.

Al, I have a few of those Roman rings, buried by soldiers going off to war and dying before they could dig back up their property. They are genuine because the Ebay site said so.

Anyhow, it was not my intention to offend, just get everyone thinking about this Patina thingee.
By the way there is a site on-line that teaches you how to patina, your pottery.

I just received two pots from somewhere in rural China land, they have to have the drainage holes put in. BUT like some of the teapots, from Ebay, they have patina - wax jobs - ha ha ha.
The teapots were done with shoe wax, black shoe wax. I had to boil them to clean off the crap.
Why did I purchase.
Because I liked the shapes and I was taught to purchase [ if I could afford ] what I like, and not the nonsense many folk get into.

"Wow, it's an antique, and I can have to show off, even mention the price [ or as they do it on Ebay, this item is over 25 years old ------- it's Vintage - ha ha ha ]"
Always get some form of genuine, approved documentation, when buying an antique.

Or you may find that you are stuck with junk, and no re-sale if you get into a bind.
Or you may find your children trying to dump the stuff when you die [ see Neli's post on Bonsai brought to her school for sale by a man's son, if you need an example.]

Wishing you all well.
Good Morning
Anthony

* one day we can discuss resale problems with hobby items on the whole.

Example of genunine Egyptian Fiaience

Attachments

• pottery%20blue%20gloss.JPG
    pottery%20blue%20gloss.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 18

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I was hoping to see an American made pot with some patina but, you know, Antiques Roadshow is cool too.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Oh no I have the coins and the arrowheads as well as many household items from the roman era. I was wondering if you were going to put your plants up there like they do in Japan.

There are still guys in Sounthern Cal. that put their pots under the benches to develop patina on them from constant watering. All I see is they get dirty pots from fertilizer run off and water stains.

Actually the thread is about patina. Pots is just the item it is on. Patina is found on many things. Real patina is the result of chemical reactions, like on the coins and the arrowheads.

I am offended that you would think I would just post a picture off yahoo for a collection I have worked on for several years. There are 963 coins here. From 600 BC to 1180 AD

"Patina on American POTS" reminder this is a bonsai forum why would we talk about patina on roman currency and weapons?Im joking i find your collection very interesting. And I think youre joking about the yahoo portion as i was calling you a yahoo not accusing you of pulling pics off yahoo. Yeah ive seen quite a few prominent bonsai artists keeping their pots on or under benches, namely Boon, John Wang, Gremel, mind you these are pots that do not have patina already as the ones that do are kept safely under lock and key.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
American pot, but no patina. Maybe someday, but in the meantime the glaze gives it plenty of personality.

image.jpg

Top Bottom