Persian Ironwood not developing leaves yet

Afly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Nuts,

Zone 6a. Need some input, please. Last fall I bought a Persian Ironwood (parottia persica) in a nursery pot. Protected it well for winter. No work. All other trees faired well.

It is May 11 and No leaves yet! All other trees here (bonsai and Mother Nature’s) have leafed out.

Scraping small branches reveals bright green and supple tissue. However the ironwood is only showing dark, wispy and dry? looking buds.

Is it normal for this species to still not be leafing out?

Thank you in advance you sage nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0877.jpeg
    IMG_0877.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 24
I don't imagine you guys have really gotten too much above 40sF for nighttime lows yet. No knowledge of the species, but if it's native to a warmer region of the world it may not wake up until your overnight lows are into the 50s with reasonably warm days.

I usually chop now when buds are breaking. Any advice on chopping this now before break or waiting for break?

I have several and the leafed out a month ago.

I have several and the leafed out a month ago.
But what's your weather been? VA climate is a far cry from MI. Heck, here in southern CO we still have big Siberian elms just leafing out. I have one in a pot that's just starting. They're taking their time this year.

But what's your weather been? VA climate is a far cry from MI. Heck, here in southern CO we still have big Siberian elms just leafing out. I have one in a pot that's just starting. They're taking their time this year.
Very mild winter.

Our spring in se MI was early this year. The landscape oaks all have leafed out now. I wouldn’t mess around with the ironwood other than appropriate watering and putting it into the sun. Give it until summer solstice to start growing but the dry buds are worrisome.

I am having a very similar issue in Vancouver BC. We planted five Persian Ironwoods, two seasons ago, they have never shown any problems until now. It has been warmer than seasonal, and they are getting water. All other trees around them have leaved. Some of the trees are leaving in certain branches, some are not.

Possible they were nipped with a late season frost also. Buds started to push, and hit with a couple days of below freezing temps? Just spitballing here, but Ive seen it happen a lot.

Possible they were nipped with a late season frost also. Buds started to push, and hit with a couple days of below freezing temps? Just spitballing here, but Ive seen it happen a lot.
@WinstonWolfe thanks - have you see the frost kill off the smaller branches with those buds?

Back
Top Bottom