Peve Minaret

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently acquired BC Peve Minaret nursery stock seen in the first picture. It's foliage is a much duller and duskier green than my regular bald cypress (second picture). Does anyone know if this is common/normal with Peve Minarets?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 81

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no idea what a Peve minaret is let alone what is normal :confused:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Chad -

I have one Peve Minaret and I've had it for a few years - I haven't noticed a difference in foliage color, but it does seem to grow more slowly than my regular bald cypress. The color of your's doesn't look off to me, but maybe it's just the photograph. At this time of year with any bald cypress, a dull color to the foliage may be an early indication of rust mites. These guys are often responsible for the reddening of the inner needles during the mid to late summer. Driving down the road it seems like every third tree or so has them, so they're really common. The mites themselves are quite hard to see, but, with magnification, you might see their white skin casts as small flecks on the underside of the leaves. In a severe infestation you'll see the needles turn dull green in early summer, progressing to a reddish brown color by mid-late summer. Often you'll get a second flush of growth, but the tree may have trouble fully leafing out. Typically with mites on a conifer, one would break out the dish soap and oil, but bald cypress are not a typical conifer. I've read that the oil will do more damage to the tree than the mites. I apply Bayer or Merit in the spring to control them and I think it does pretty well The mites overwinter on the bark of the tree, perhaps making a dormant (no leaves) application of a horticultural oil a good possibility.

Here's a link to a picture of late season rust mite damage:

http://bygl.osu.edu/mediamanager/node/6271

Here's a description of the insect:

http://fsg.ces.ncsu.edu/publication/bald-cypress-rust-mite-epitrimerus-taxodii/

Here are some recommended insecticides to control along with a picture of early season rust mite damage (note the dull green foliage) and a warning about horticultural oils:

http://cfextension.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/BaldCypress.pdf

Anyway, before you spray anything, break out the magnifying glass and closely examine the bottom of the leaves for the little white fleck. I think if you see the little white flecks with a hand lens, it's pretty diagnostic.

Scott

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Color

I had one, no difference in color from species for me. It was selected for interesting habit. Tends to stay narrow because branches will turn straight up as they grow, and look like minarets. The tree looks like a small redwood.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Peve Minaret foliage is on the left. Trying to find a magnifying glass to examine it. Do they still sell those things? :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 39

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Nothing

Bald cypress in containers need regular watering it could have been just a little under watered at the nursery. Some planted in the ground here, even large trees, have browned like that.

I think your worried about nothing. Montezuma cypress, closely related to bald cypress, just a variant of the same species according to some, doesn't lose its needles it winter, it loses them in the dry season and not at all if it never gets very cold or very dry.....

Take good care of it and it will grow fine. They are not delicate. They are survivors, cousins of sequoia, they want water and sun and to turn into big awesome trees. One of my favorite species...

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone. I found a cheap magnifying glass near the old man reading glasses at Walgreens. I don't see any critters.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks everyone. I found a cheap magnifying glass near the old man reading glasses at Walgreens. I don't see any critters.

Good - probably just droughted a bit. Should be fine.

I don't see too many of these. Brussels had a batch at the Rendevous a few years ago, but there were none the last time I went. They were all grafted - it looks like yours is too. I wonder if they came from the same grower.

Scott

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
They're all grafted

This one is very difficult or impossible to root. They will all be grafted.

Top Bottom