Photos Available From Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wrote and largely photographed the book, Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees - The Life and Work of Dan Robinson, Bonsai Pioneer. The first printing is almost sold out, and it is not likely to be printed again. It contains large numbers of inspiring photographs of Dan's best trees, and yet most people have never seen these photographs, and may never have a chance to.

So I wanted to make these photos available to a wide audience, and yet not have them simply pirated. The solution was to set up a web site within Smug Mug, where I could post several galleries of small thumbnails which, when clicked, expanded to larger photos with watermarks to discourage pirating. These larger images, despite the watermarks, allow a good enough impression of the photo that people can then decide if they may want to purchase one or more such photos at various sizes and formats to enjoy on their own, or give as gifts to others. It is not an ideal solution, but Dan and his wife thought it was a good one, and so did I.

The link for the main gallery of Dan's trees is found by clicking "Browse" at the home page below:

http://narapress.smugmug.com

Another of the four primary galleries is also devoted largely to images from that book. Two are not.

I hope you enjoy my photos, and the opportunity to perhaps purchase one or more as an inspiration for your own bonsai development.

Will Hiltz
Nara Press

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What powerful and gorgeous Bonsai ! Not an iffy one in the lot. Thanks for the link .

ed

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What powerful and gorgeous Bonsai ! Not an iffy one in the lot. Thanks for the link .

ed

Thanks, edprocoat.

I have a bunch more that I may post as well. Since people from all walks of life might be viewing them, not just bonsai enthusiasts, I wanted to start with ones that had a wide appeal, perhaps, even to the untrained eye, so I cherry picked those to upload.

Someone asked in a private message how to go about ordering copies of the book itself. I will emphasize that with another thread in this forum since I'd like folks here to have the first shot at getting one before they are no longer available, but for people already on this thread: you simply need to contact Elandan Gardens at www.elandangardens.com.

I hope that helps.

Top Bottom