Photos from the Winter Silhouette Show - 2015

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey friends, Here are a few highlights from the weekend... Hopefully a video will be coming soon:)

Here is the display that Ken Duncan and I put together...
IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

A shot from above...
IMG_2844.JPG

There were certainly some out of the box displays this year...
Rob K. from Fla. and his Chinese Wax Museum Motif...
IMG_2840.JPG

interesting accent...
IMG_2883.PNG

a very interesting and unusual display featuring a fabricated metal pedestal as the container
IMG_2882.JPG

This display featured a Cherokee theme...every item in the display has a specific message... Perhaps Mac will chime in with all the details..
IMG_2853.JPG

Here is another "Western" themed display by Arthur Joura from the NC Arboretum...
IMG_2867.JPG

A few of my favorite trees...
A trident maple forest...these are 8' tables in the photos to give you some idea of scale...
IMG_2851.JPG

This is Florida Hackberry...it also won Best Winter View Bonsai...sorry for the slanting pic...again very large!
IMG_2863.JPG

Bill V's Kotohime...
IMG_2842.JPG

A very large near view Bald Cypress forest by Ed
IMG_2829.JPG

Winner of the best Broadleaf Evergreen...Ficus from the Jim Smith collection...exhibited by Carp:) Once again a single tree on 8' table...
IMG_2832.JPG

This exposed root black pine won the best conifer award...
IMG_2860.JPG

Chinese Elm Landscape by my buddy Ken...
IMG_2837.JPG

Somehow I managed not to take a photo of my rockplanting so this is crop from another photo...
IMG_2827.JPG

My Japanese Maple...
IMG_2836.JPG

Ok...that is enough for now...I'll save the rest for the video.

If anyone out there took any photos of Ken and my demo I would be very appreciative if you would post some....too busy to take any photos:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing John. This was once again a fantastic, classy event that gets better and better each year. The quality of trees on display is just awesome, there's a lot of talent in the space provided. Likewise, the event is crawling with incredible people. The commradery and time spent with friends old and new is worth far more than the price of admission, which is free . The demos were all very impressive, John and Ken's was a bit misleading though, because they made that awesome boxwood forest on an incredible stone look very simple. Great job guys. I look forward to this event for many years to come.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Some nice trees, thanx for the pics.
Not a fan of the room though, doesnt look like a good environment to show bonsai to me, from the pics anyways it looks like kinda cold atmosphere.
Especially on pic 2, where floor and wall looks the same, not liking this room...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Some nice trees, thanx for the pics.
Not a fan of the room though, doesnt look like a good environment to show bonsai to me, from the pics anyways it looks like kinda cold atmosphere.
Especially on pic 2, where floor and wall looks the same, not liking this room...

It is a very formal and classy setting. I like the space as something a little different and it lends itself well to more formal displays. The lighting in the center area could be improved. Certainly a better space than the gyms and warehouses that are so often used. The marble used on the floor and walls is from the same location as the very famous sculpture of David.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! Thanks for taking the time to share them. A level I can't imagine reaching...but, to finally get there a great feeling! Your trees look amazing by the way. Rock planting rocks!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing John. This was once again a fantastic, classy event that gets better and better each year. The quality of trees on display is just awesome, there's a lot of talent in the space provided. Likewise, the event is crawling with incredible people. The commradery and time spent with friends old and new is worth far more than the price of admission, which is free . The demos were all very impressive, John and Ken's was a bit misleading though, because they made that awesome boxwood forest on an incredible stone look very simple. Great job guys. I look forward to this event for many years to come.

Thanks Eli... I have to say I was even more impressed with Eli's containers than I hoped to be...the pics do not do them justice at all...came home with 8 and look forward to more in the future! Excellent work Eli!! If you get the opportunity to acquire some of his work, you won't be disappointed!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
John, Thanks for sharing. What are those in #38? I like the contrast of tall trees and understory trees together in the forest.
Digging that #51 JBP and #55. Is that clump style?
A lot of inspirational trees!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John, Thanks for sharing. What are those in #38? I like the contrast of tall trees and understory trees together in the forest.
Digging that #51 JBP and #55. Is that clump style?
A lot of inspirational trees!

55 is actually a raft...if I recall correctly it was collected nearly as is.
38 is a mixed species landscape from Arthur Joura but I do not remember which species he used...I suspect they are all natives.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
55 is actually a raft...if I recall correctly it was collected nearly as is.
38 is a mixed species landscape from Arthur Joura but I do not remember which species he used...I suspect they are all natives.
Nice. Raft was the word I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification. Again, great trees.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow I didnt even notice the shears in the one trees pot.

I enjoyed the show (my first) thoroughly. Wish I could have made it to one of the demonstrations, Bill was finishing up when I got there.

I managed to walk away with only one tree.

Will definently return next year.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Wish I could have been there, I was giving a recital in New Haven, or else I would have made the trip down!

From the looks of it, those dark lines in the marble (or whatever stone it is), look like they played well with the bonsai that had it as a backdrop, especially in the winning Florida hackberry. Anyone else notice that?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really great show and overall great trees! Thanks for sharing John and nice trees you displayed. I specially like that rock planting. One of these on my to do list! Congrats to Carp! Very nice ficus.

Wish I was able to make it. Perhaps next year I hope.

Top Bottom