Pics of My Collection

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have been on here for a short while. I wanted to show my humble collection.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes:

This is my Chinese Elm--Secretly my favorite. I have had him for a year and he has come a long way in development from the scraggly little guy he was when first acquired. I know...Nebari, nebari, nebari!

This is my obligatory Japanese Black Pine. Doing well since buying him a year ago. I had to thin him out into this basic structure. Now for the ingredient I cannot buy = time :(

This is my most recent acquisition:a Mugo Pine. I love the trunk and see a lot of potential here. The only thing I have done is mild candling. I will repot next year, allowing it time to transition into its new home.

Next up; my Trident Maple (AKA "Lollipop" for obvious reasons). This tree has helped me build confidence. No matter what I do, it rewards me with petite and graceful leaves. I have had her for a year and I think she will be a stunner in 2-3 years of lower branch development. You might be able to see 3 new buds forming at the lower trunk in excellent locations.

These two are my Junipers. I spent a lot of time over the course of 3 months hunting for the right little Juni's with great shape. I have the luxury of a bonsai farm within a couple hour's drive, but I didn't rush. They have showed vibrant growth in my care and I am proud of them. We affectionately named the two "Frick" and "Frack". No name designation between the two.

Now for a moment of silence for my Shimpaku. Yes, it's in the ground as a last ditch effort to bring back some inkling of life. Incredible trunk here and my namesake. It has suffered the ravages of a novice chop; sometimes referred to as the "Karate Kid Cut".

Say a prayer for his return. I watered it dead for 6 months, so why not a few more?!

I hope you have enjoyed a brief tour through my small contribution to the hobby. Comments, suggestions, and verts would be greatly appreciated!

-Shimp

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing...off to a good start, and it looks like your namesake may just make it...

That mugo is really going to be nice. Maybe Vance will see it and give you some tips for it. You could start a thread for it, I'm sure he'd jump on that...
Nice yard too...
Looks like you may have to change your location from ded.:), that shimp may still make it...

Not a bad collection for 1 year. Shimp, where do you live (fill in your profile)? Here in the southeast, things have been fairly warm and dry and I have already been battling spider mites for a month now...you might want to check your juniper for the little buggers. I hope it makes it.

Dave

Thanks for the comments. I live in Pennsylvania.

I spent some time with the Mugo yesterday. I thinned some branches and it will stay like this (in the container) for a year and a half before a repot.

What do you think? Good job, bad job, branches I should have kept?

Before:

After:

Front-

Back-

Which side do you like better as the "Front". Both sides seem very nice. Bottom will be jinned in the future.

Last edited:
Like the mugo too. Keep in mind, something I just learned, that back budding only happens where you have old needles. So it the branch has only growth at the end and no needles closer to the trunk, no back budding.

^I did not know that and will keep it in mind. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom