Pigeon Soil from Spain

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it is pumice.

"The Natural Granulated Floorcovering is a natural product consisting of lava drawn from the subsoil."20190805_121330.jpg

Found it at my local urban feedstore, where I haven't been since going there years back looking for pumice, drystall.

Even today they said they didn't have pumice.

Researching Chickens for an urban coop. Were allowed 2 and have consent forms in the hands of the neighbors.

My daughters project. I made her research all the way down to vent cleaning. (Poophole)

We will likely get a pair of Barred Rock hens.

Unless someone recommends others.

Saw the "chicks" sign on the way to my Basic Rider Course this weekend.
Which I passed with perfect scores riding and written! And I was scraping my pegs at lunch on my bike! Gettin it!

Anyway.

Feel free to speak of soil birds bunnies and bikes.20190805_120812.jpg
20190805_120936.jpg
20190805_120947.jpg
20190805_121229.jpg

I'm listening!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Size is similar to DE in overall and variation.

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
interesting. Are you planning to try it for bonsai too?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Out here, poultry grit is crushed and graded granite.

I was talking to a granite supplier about buying in bulk, and she had all the information for me. I don't have it at hand, but for bonsai purposes we would be looking at "turkey grit" because it is larger size than the chicken grit. There are (if my memory serves) two different grades of turkey grit.

http://www.newcountryorganics.com/shop/grit-turkey-50-lb.html

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Out here, poultry grit is crushed and graded granite.

I was talking to a granite supplier about buying in bulk, and she had all the information for me. I don't have it at hand, but for bonsai purposes we would be looking at "turkey grit" because it is larger size than the chicken grit. There are (if my memory serves) two different grades of turkey grit.

http://www.newcountryorganics.com/shop/grit-turkey-50-lb.html

View attachment 256376
#3 turkey grit is a great size, i find #2 a bit on the small side for most of my trees.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used to work on a few chicken breeding projects for the university. There are chickens around with blue feet and green eggs. Awesome.
If yours ever turn up to have some of those traits, you're rich.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a few Americanas. They have green legs and lay blue eggs and are entertaining hens. We have Cookoo Marans, and California Greys as well. All good backyard chickens. All absolutely horrible for bonsai.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I know is my niece had a red hen she named Lucy. She would sleep with it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple of the luckiest Hens on Earth, Charlette and Amy have hand crafted ceramic food dishes, as made by their respective caretakers. My littlest 2.
Message_1565123184740.jpg

They only had these Golden Laced Wyandottes, no more barred rock's, not too different carewise, coldhardy.

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Couple of the luckiest Hens on Earth, Charlette and Amy have hand crafted ceramic food dishes, as made by their respective caretakers. My littlest 2.
View attachment 256529

They only had these Golden Laced Wyandottes, no more barred rock's, not too different carewise, coldhardy.

Sorce
You should like the Wyandottes. We have a few. They are nice and calm. Less destructive to bonsai than rocks.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
"Pigeon soil" has been a source of fertilizer for ages around the Mediterranean Sea.

For instance, in Cappadocia, they would carve cliffs not only for dwellings, but very often for the pigeons to nest. After afew years, they would climb up the cliff, and gather years of pigeons droppings...

Karaman_190806a.jpg

Brought young people, met very nice people there.

Karaman_190806b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom