Plan a Trip for Horseloverfat

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@HorseloverFat stop by us in Milwaukee if you’re coming down 43! If you and the family are looking for a casual lunch spot that supports our parks, stop by Estabrook Park or Sourh Shore Park for the biergarten and lake views. Shoot me a message if you’d like to meet up, first round of cheese curds on me 👍
Awesome!!! Thank you! I will keep you in the loop as the time looms closer.

I was just in Chilton, today.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will get around to a couple St Pk ideas from our state in another post,
but with the mention of St Pk and caves...Carter Caves in Carter County Ky
I-64 between Lexington and Ashland in Eastern Ky has some good spelunkin'.
It's an hour drive or so from here, so my folks used to take the camper down
for a quick get away often throughout the Summer. Bat cave is guided only
but there are several good tour guided and unguided caves down there.
Very family friendly, clean campground, cheesy cabins, put put golf, horseback riding,
horse shoes, right next to the campground. Like directly across the low traveled 2 lane road.
East Kentucky was one we explored THOROUGHLY.. but i still wasn't satisfied... I wanted more!

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm, I bet they could take different routes to and from Florida. Twice the scenery!
This was our approach the previous "go"..and I really enjoyed the extra scenery.. definitely our plan... Most likely going up through VA again, on the way back... making time to stop near @penumbra ... NOT stopping was one of my only regrets of our LAST expedition.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you pass through western NC, Joyce Kilmer memorial forest has to be on the list. It is a must for any tree lover. There’s not any camping there but there is a trail that wonders through a grove of virgin forest full of old growth hardwoods that are absolute massive. It is a very spiritual place
I'm excited for the Carolinas... I have Family in "settlements" in SC..(and North FL)

We'll have to check out the Joyce Killmer when near. Thanks!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Since all I know about @HorseloverFat is that they like trees, my recommendation would be to follow a route that goes across Michigan’s upper peninsula. If you’re a rock hound, a stop at the Seaman Mineral Museum in Houghton is worthwhile. Kitch-iti-kipi is really cool (crystal clear and very deep natural spring). Tahquamenon Falls is spectacular. If you’re a history buff, Fort Michilimackinac and/or Mackinac Island are cool places to visit. Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake state parks are nice parks to camp at in the upper part of the lower peninsula. The Flower Market in Monroe/Dundee is a noteworthy place to visit for the bonsai enthusiast.
We were up by Marquette a few weeks ago.. I love the ENTIRE region from Niagara to "the soo"... GOOD STUFF.

Next time I'm making a "medicine run" we'll have to check some of those spots out. Thanks!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If coming down I-95 and stopping in North Florida fits your plans, Fort Clinch State Park. It's just a few miles across the GA/FL state line. It has beach sites and sites in the woods. It's near some of the nicest beaches in FL on Amelia Island, and 2 miles from downtown Fernandina Beach, which happens to have a ton of interesting history. Book your site now if you can. Next best would be Little Talbot Island. There are many, many options around here. My wife and I camp often.
Perfect! THAT sounds wonderful!

My parent's land, our FL destination is IN North Florida.. Near Interlachen... in the Sands.

These are great suggestions, thanks!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you ever get the chance to drive the blue ridge parkway across North Carolina and Virginia from one end to the other I highly recommend giving it a go, there’s so many amazing places and sights along the way, not to mention the parkway itself. Its definitely “trip worthy” all on its own.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Following up on a post in a thread, lets plan a trip for @HorseloverFat (Leo 2) or the (other Leo) . He will be travelling to Florida in autumn, from Green Bay Wisconsin, and I'd like someone from each state along any of the several possible routes to suggest state parks with camping facilities to suggest parks to stop at for views.

For example, if I were driving, I would be coming down from Green Bay Wisc. Depending on how restless the kiddies were, first stop might be Indiana Dunes State Park if I could arrange a reservation (the park is often maxed out for capacity) or Tippecanoe River State Park, east of Renssalaer, Indiana.

If HorseloverFat were to detour west using Interstate 57 to go south instead of I-65, I would suggest stopping at either Heron Pond Natural Area, camping at Cache River State Natural Area, home of the 1300 year old bald cypress, oldest baldie in Illinois. Or I-57 to I-24 and camping at Garden of the Gods, east of Harrisburg, IL near the IL-KY border.

So those are my suggestions. Please suggest sights you would want to see on the way down from Green Bay to south Florida.
This is tremendously thoughtful, OL!!

I greatly appreciate it!!

The Heron area and Cache River locations seem VERY promising! (from the tiny amount of research I JUST did)

Thank you, again!!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While in Indiana, near Bloomington there are several caves. If the kids have never seen a cave, you might want to take them there. Buckner's cave may or may not be open to the public. Salamander cave is another "beginner cave" that is in the immediate area of Bloomington. I believe Salamander is on State land, so access, is available if safe. Flooding is always an issue with caves and preventing the spread of white nose disease in bats has closed a number of caves.
My kids have been talking about caves nonstop since we learned about the underground hindu cave monasteries!

This sounds like a good, knowledge-filled avenue to explore!

Thanks!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you ever get the chance to drive the blue ridge parkway across North Carolina and Virginia from one end to the other I highly recommend giving it a go, there’s so many amazing places and sights along the way, not to mention the parkway itself. Its definitely “trip worthy” all on its own.
I've heard mention and driven near the blue ridge parkway last "America gulp"..

I'd like to traverse it at length!

Thank you!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My kids have been talking about caves nonstop since we learned about the underground hindu cave monasteries!

This sounds like a good, knowledge-filled avenue to explore!

Thanks!

You know, if you have never had the kids in a cave, a stop at Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky. Just stay on Interstate 65 south of Indianapolis, take 65 thur Louisville to Mammoth Cave, there will be signs on the interstate. The cave has over 400 miles of mapped corridors, tours start at $8 each and it is the largest known or mapped cave system in USA. Carlsbad Caverns might be larger, but it is not fully explored. Actually every year they map additional areas of Mammoth Cave. So it is about 75 miles south of Louisville, KY. Lights and handrails, so you don't have to gear up to go into the cave. While in there, they will turn off the lights, so the kids can experience the dark. Its really, really dark. The cave is noted for blind salamanders, blind isopods and other troglodytes. A tourist site for over 100 years, so visiting you are not messing up pristine territory. Its on the National Parks website. www.nps.gov

Caving requires gear, helmets, multiple flashlights, knee and elbow guards, rock climbing gear, and you are going to get wet and muddy. Most people don't realize how muddy a "wild" or "unimproved" cave can be. Must pack in water and pack out all waste, including bodily waste if you stay in there long enough. Tourist developed caves are great because they have lights, handrails, some have elevators, even trams, and easy access washrooms for those human needs. Mammoth Cave has the largest "room" known in USA caves, a ceiling that is hundred feet above the floor, it is quite a sight.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Regarding caves, it wouldn’t be on your route for this trip, but some places to keep in mind if you ever take a trip out west: Wind Cave and Jewel Cave in South Dakota. Both are really cool. And Golden Arrow Bonsai is in the region, so might as well arrange to visit if you’re out that way, since it’s in the neighborhood. ;)

Top Bottom