Please help me identify my Bonsai

Maddie8)

Seedling
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don’t keep Chinese Elm, I have no hands on experience with them. So take this with that in mind.

What’s your window situation? What direction do your windows face? If you have a south facing window, that would be the best place for it. As close tot he window as possible.

Ideally, all bonsai should be kept outdoors, but that’s not always possible. So we go with the next best thing; a south facing window. South is best, then west, then east, and of course north. If you don’t have a south facing window or a west facing window, a grow light will help give the tree the light it needs.
If you give the tree enough light, and water it properly and fertilize properly, your tree will survive until you can figure out something better.

People regularly keep Chinese elm indoors - it can be done.

Also, maybe check out amazon, I’ve looked before and seen plenty of clip on planters that you can attach to a window.
Thankyou for your opinion :)
My window is easy facing, my plant light should be here tommorow. I’m gonna try and be hopeful. The clip on window planter is a good idea.

Maddie8)

Seedling
Reaction score
If you have little or no experience growing plants indoors, trying to keep a Chinese elm alive indoors is usually doomed to failure.

But if you have a grow lights set up, some experience growing under lights, or a very bright window, with supplemental grow lights for the long UK winter nights. You can indeed keep Chinese elms growing well indoors. But it is not a "beginner plant" for those new to indoor gardening.

Chinese elms need very bright light indoors, and will benefit from at least 12 hours, up to 18 hours of light per day indoors. In winter your natural day length is as short as 6 or 8 hours and pretty low in the sky sun. Grow lights added to supplement your short winter days will really help.
Thankyou! I’m going to try and learn a bit tonight and hope things work. :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Key to not killing this is finding the balance between keeping the roots so wet they die, and drying out the roots too much, causing them to die.

You are looking for an evently damp. If you have to keep it indoors, place it next to a sunny window. This might mean above a heater which is not a great idea. SO avoid where possible.

It is a tricky balance, but possible. Steep learning curve!

Top Bottom