Please help. Should i be concerned about this?

ayden2811

Seed
Reaction score
I have noticed black dots and on my bonsai and something that looks unusual.

Please help if you know this is something that i should be conerned about

Thanks20210512_190433.jpg20210512_190249.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The black spots are fungi that munch on dead foliage - and if your tree is in poor health it might start eating live foliage too, but that doesn't happen if the tree is healthy.

Second picture shows a juniper repairing a wound with callus tissue.

Both pretty common occurrences. Nothing to worry about.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have keen eyes to spot those tiny dots!
Junipers can get scale insects that look a bit like black/brown/whitish dots but they live on green leaves and can be hard to spot until there are many. I suspect that @Wires_Guy_wires is correct about fungi on the dead parts but please check live areas just in case.
The second picture shows callus growing over a wound. I guess a small branch broke off there at some stage. Healing up cuts is a good sign the tree is healthy and growing.

Adding a location to your profile will give us some help when making recommendations as timing, pests and treatments can vary depending on what country or climate zone you live in.

ayden2811

Seed
Reaction score
You have keen eyes to spot those tiny dots!
Junipers can get scale insects that look a bit like black/brown/whitish dots but they live on green leaves and can be hard to spot until there are many. I suspect that @Wires_Guy_wires is correct about fungi on the dead parts but please check live areas just in case.
The second picture shows callus growing over a wound. I guess a small branch broke off there at some stage. Healing up cuts is a good sign the tree is healthy and growing.

Adding a location to your profile will give us some help when making recommendations as timing, pests and treatments can vary depending on what country or climate zone you live in.
Hello, thank you for your response. I have checked live areas and i have found white spots. I have attatched a photo to show you.

What action would you recommend?
Screenshot_20210512-200833_Gallery.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Those little white bumps on the leaves are scale insect shells. The insect is hiding safe under there and sucking juice out of the leaf. Heavy infestations can severely affect trees.
Scale is usually killed with horticultural oil sprays that suffocates them. To be effective oil sprays must cover every surface and will probably need to be repeated several times to get all of them. Read directions as some oil sprays can damage trees in hot weather.
Some people have said that Neem oil spray might be effective too.

Heavy duty treatment is systemic insecticide which is absorbed into the sap and moves right through the plant so every insect that bites will die. Systemics should kill every bug on the tree and should only need 1 treatment unless more come from a nearby plant.

Top Bottom