Plectranthus....whats that?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My plectrantus is in my office at work. Where I last was 8 weeks ago. Guess when September comes, and I am allowed back to the office, I will find out how much of a desert plant they are..
Happy I took a cutting home with me just before the covid lock-down.

Yours is nice. How do you manage the growth?
I hate it when that happens!! That really stinks ๐Ÿ˜ข. Itโ€™s a good thing they trunk up so fast.

As far as growth management, refer to posts #1 and #11.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am a huge fan of Plectranthus ernstii. So easy to grow, and the flowers are such a nice bonus to the knobbly stem structure (last year they bloomed from April to October). Mine is 4 years old, and has gained a good amount in size, however, it has none of the structure that yours has, and is pretty ugly. I tried to grow it in clump style. Maybe that was my mistake, perhaps I should have tried a more upright style like yours? Should I cut the thick, tubular sections shorter? Would appreciate any tips.

I could also chop them up into many smaller specimens (even thick cuttings root readily).

Attachments

• 2020-07-15 12.59.23.jpg
    2020-07-15 12.59.23.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 55

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am a huge fan of Plectranthus ernstii. So easy to grow, and the flowers are such a nice bonus to the knobbly stem structure (last year they bloomed from April to October). Mine is 4 years old, and has gained a good amount in size, however, it has none of the structure that yours has, and is pretty ugly. I tried to grow it in clump style. Maybe that was my mistake, perhaps I should have tried a more upright style like yours? Should I cut the thick, tubular sections shorter? Would appreciate any tips.

I could also chop them up into many smaller specimens (even thick cuttings root readily).
I think Iโ€™d try taking one of those thick stems that is growing horizontally and root it to grow vertically. See what happens. Thatโ€™s a chubby little plant!!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is how it fills in after it's late winter cut back and the new growth is still small. It's also the time it looks the best as a bonsai. In a few weeks flower spikes will start and the silhouette will be compromised.

IMG_4269.JPG

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
omg, it looks great ๐Ÿ˜
Last year i also bought that plant, but it has too lagy-long branches. So, i should trim it back hard, right?

ernstii 01.jpgernstii 02.jpg

Top Bottom