Plectranthus....whats that?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
omg, it looks great 😍
Last year i also bought that plant, but it has too lagy-long branches. So, i should trim it back hard, right?

View attachment 368002View attachment 368003
You might want to take off the lower growth close to the soil line and choose if you want a twin trunk design. Other than that let it grow and develop the trunk(s). Enjoy the flowers!!!

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This plant flowered constantly from last year’s cutback. It was just getting too big and falling over. Timing the cutback so new growth is emerging when it’s warm enough to leave out in the sun and not burn the leaves.

2CAB9860-1E12-4B8B-8EDC-F0C4A8167CC5.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Before and after! Flowers were getting leggy and all the weight of the added growth makes for a very shaky tree. This can break off the segmented branches if you're not careful. I'm seeing this being sold as mallsai quite a bit lately under the name of "bonsai mint". The foliage has a nice fragrance but I don't think it resembles mint.

IMG_1200.jpegIMG_4494.JPG

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What kind of temps does this get down to during the winter in your “greenhouse?” I have a couple smaller ones that I keep inside over winter. Always looking to reduce my winter indoor plant count though.
Also - you find it does well with daily watering? Isn’t this a succulent? I restrict water somewhat like with my P. Afra. You’ve found better response with the more regular watering?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What kind of temps does this get down to during the winter in your “greenhouse?” I have a couple smaller ones that I keep inside over winter. Always looking to reduce my winter indoor plant count though.
Also - you find it does well with daily watering? Isn’t this a succulent? I restrict water somewhat like with my P. Afra. You’ve found better response with the more regular watering?
The greenhouse gets down to 53f at night. I bring it in when nights are consistently in the low 40s. It does resemble a succulent however I don’t know if it’s classified as such. It gets watered every day even in winter.

Jojo!

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey! I'm glad I found you guys! Have a Plectranthus too! I've been growing it for 3 years now! It's kinda cool to see the difference in the bark textures between all of us! btw I love the pots you guys are using!

Attachments

• bonsaimint2022.jpeg
    bonsaimint2022.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 33

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well time for new shoes. I'm hoping the orange pot will compliment the blue flowers once it starts. This was the first time it was root pruned since I got it as a cutting in 2015. It will be cut back in a few week once it recuperates.

As I mentioned in post #47 this material is very brittle. I broke a large piece of the lower right branch off last fall when pruning it. It was a very minor bump. When the plant gets large, simply walking with it you can feel the segmented branches bouncing with each footstep. Luckily I have replacement starting to grow where it broke off. The broken piece was just put into APL and has already started blooming. Might make a nice mame.

IMG_4575.JPGIMG_4577.JPGIMG_1510.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Spring pruning........there wasn't very much to do. No winter flowers to cut off. Looking back at last years mishap which broke a large lower branch off, it's amazing to see how fast this plant can regenerate. The arrows in the photos show the beginning of the new branch and one year later. I hadn't realized how much caliper it put on until I look at the previous year.

IMG_4575.JPGIMG_4732.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome tree. Love the leaves on this one!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really really cool.
I should spend a bit more time on mine, considering your example of what these can look like.

Dorstenia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a few myself, the ernstii version (like ABs, but not as nice LOL). I'll grab a pic of my old man's, his is almost 20 years old, it's where I took my cutting a while back.

Top Bottom