Pomegranate Project

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a promising pomegranate tree that I will begin work on come this spring. The nebari and trunk is great but there is some reverse taper with the upper branching. I will be growing and developing most of the branching from scratch but I'd like to leave some of the already present primary branching. In the photos you can 3 large branches coming from the same spot. The "middle" branch is actually a fused mass of 3 smaller branches that looks very unsightly especially since I aim for a more delicate image. I want to cut out the middle section (I'm not saying right now) but I'm not sure what tools to use. One option I have is to use a dremel and just carve the whole chunk out. But I'd rather use a saw of some sort to make a clean cut prior to any carving. Any comments, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Opinions regarding the trees development and final image will be nice too since I have no concrete plans yet of what to work towards. I'll get some photos in the day.

Thanks,
Julian

20151127_172736_zpsws61dkyr.jpg

20151127_172743_zpsbavk8vuo.jpg

20151127_172716_zpscagbdrrx.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've found the 'textured tooth' carbide Dremel bits useful for carving (they will gum up, but just a butane flame will get clean it). I prefer a small roto chisel for most work, though.

I must say three things.
  1. The trunk looks like a fusion of two trunks - is it?
  2. The trunk(s) seem quite lanky. You are intending to cut out the middle section of the trunk and to set the top back onto the base? That would be an interesting grafting tour de force!
  3. I do not understand why you want to carve it (a personal problem, I just don't get it).
Otherwise, best wishes for you and your tree.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I think you misread me when I said middle section. I did describe it as the section with 3 large branches. By middle I mean going vertically. Perhaps it was a bit too hard to see in the photos?

It does appear quite lanky in the pictures but the base is around 2-2.5 inches with a very slight gradual taper to the trunk. It is likely because I took the photo from an angle that it appears as such.

Also I'm not sure how you interpreted my post. I don't think chopping an entire trunk and slapping the crown back on would be viable nor natural in appearance. As you say there is no reason to carve the "middle" of the trunk either. Perhaps the fact that you can understand my intent is because what you interpret to be my intent isn't my intent at all?? Anyhow I don't have any pressing personal problems nor believe such a comment was warranted--even if my intent was as you described.

Let me upload an edited image so you see what I mean--it is a single trunk too.

pomegranate_zpsnz1cs5o9.jpg

20151127_181437_zps4okbywsx.jpg

Last edited:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The section marked in red is actually extremely wide comprised of 3 branches that have fused. It is quite difficult to photograph but is apparent in person. The trunks to the left and the right should be viable to work with and there is no reason for me to lop the whole top. The other branches will be reduced accordingly but that mid section is something I'd prefer to remove.

I'll check out that carbide bit. I can borrow an electric jig saw from my father but I think that would be too aggressive on the tree given the close proximity of the other branches.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see now. I think I would prune off the branch and then use this bit which is especially good in tight spaces. Again, you only need to 'dip' it (while rotating in the Dremel tool) into a butane torch flame to clean it out. Even when loaded up, the bit keeps cutting surprisingly well.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I see now. I think I would prune off the branch and then use this bit which is especially good in tight spaces. Again, you only need to 'dip' it (while rotating in the Dremel tool) into a butane torch flame to clean it out. Even when loaded up, the bit keeps cutting surprisingly well.
Thanks for the link. I'll try it out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like quite the dilemma!

I've airlayered one with success.

Now I've shared everything I know!

Leo in NE Illinois has typed some good POM info.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A small reciprocating saw can be a good tool to have around for things like these. The battery powered ones can sometimes fit into close spaces. Best to have someone firmly hold the tree while you cut. A jigsaw is not a good idea I think.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A small reciprocating saw can be a good tool to have around for things like these. The battery powered ones can sometimes fit into close spaces. Best to have someone firmly hold the tree while you cut. A jigsaw is not a good idea I think.
I think a jigsaw, especially one with variable speed would give more control than a reciprocating saw. A little awkward at first but I find it to be a handy tool for cutting in tight places.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
An interesting project; I'll be curious to see its progress. Do you know the variety? Is it 'wonderful'?
The reason I ask is that San Gabriel Nursery put one or two in the raffle at GSBF2015 that looked very much like this . . .

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
An interesting project; I'll be curious to see its progress. Do you know the variety? Is it 'wonderful'?
The reason I ask is that San Gabriel Nursery put one or two in the raffle at GSBF2015 that looked very much like this . . .
Hah. It's from San Gabriel nursery. Not so sure on the variety. It was just labeled pomegranate. I'd have to ask next time I'm there.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hah. It's from San Gabriel nursery. Not so sure on the variety. It was just labeled pomegranate. I'd have to ask next time I'm there.
Thought so! I'd be willing to be it's 'wonderful' then - I ended up with one too. I prefer 'nana' (the dwarf) since this is a full size production crop pomegranate (big fruit and big leaves), but it should be fun to play with.
Way too tall and skinny for my taste, so I'll probably layer and chop mine in the coming year, and maybe plant out one or both halves.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bleumeon,
It looks like twisted pomegranate to me. I am more confident when it came from SG nursery.

To remove that bulging part, I would use any saw like http://www.dallasbonsai.com/tools/saws.html (I am not yielded anything from this site) (If you not familiar with powered saw)

If this tree was mine, I would remove all except one highlighted with yellow line. Reason is that the lower trunk is too straight (if I want to design it as broom style, it is fine). I like to see some movement on the trunk line since I love literati style!
20151127_172736_zpsws61dkyr.jpg

Good luck!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Way too tall and skinny for my taste, so I'll probably layer and chop mine in the coming year, and maybe plant out one or both halves.
Hi ColinFraser,
You should give the 2nd thought for literati style! ;-)
Bonhe

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It looks like twisted pomegranate to me. I am more confident when it came from SG nursery.
Think about it - they came from the same nursery at nearly the same time. Look how similar the trees themselves are (mine's on the right). It is so highly likely that these are from the same batch/cohort:
image.jpeg

And here's the tag:

image.jpeg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi ColinFraser,
My teacher, Mr. Richard Ota, is the curator at the SG nursery. That's why I know it! :)
Bonhe

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Thats neat. I picked this tree because the base as some slight spiraling knurling forming. Looking at older specimens at the nursery the trunk does develop spiraling with age. I did consider the chop option you marked in yellow but I don't think more taper is necessary. I aiming for a more delicate image so think the minimal taper is okay. There is suttle movement in the trunk too so I think it's okay.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi ColinFraser,
My teacher, Mr. Richard Ota, is the curator at the SG nursery. That's why I know it! :)
Bonhe
Do you believe that these are different then, or would you suggest mine is mislabeled? Maybe you can show him the photo and ask . . .

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Do you believe that these are different then, or would you suggest mine is mislabeled? Maybe you can show him the photo and ask . . .
Of recent San Gabriel nursery has been stocking and selling a lot of pomegranate bonsai. It was a recent edition in the last few months or so. All of the pomegranates look similar to mine or yours so it is likely the same variety. There was a big rotted fruit on mine that I removed after purchase too.

I wouldn't be suprised at mislabeling though. They have thousands of plants--my first tree purchased from them was what I thought to be an oriental sweet gum. It was in December so there were no leaves. It ended up being a trident maple.

Top Bottom