Pomegranate

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree. Do you plan to bonsai or no.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I meant survive +25 F , die with + 19 F.
Had a typo.
Yeah I had to do a double take.

That’s interesting. I swear we got in the teens, if not lower, this winter and the year before. Maybe the exact spot I put my trees is a little more sheltered than I thought. I’ll have to be more cautious now that I know. I love poms but I’m considering selling mine anyway, I have to prepare for school this fall.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a great chat. Now that a few years passed since the last post I was wondering if any of the pomegranate bonsai people from Chicago grow them under lights in a warm house during winter? or is it better that they get some cold and go dormant?

I have 2 different pomegranate trees I acquired this year. One is a twisted trunk that is in a bonsai container already. The others are in a 5 gallon nursery pot with multiple trunks.

I currently have my trees inside and the one in the 5 gallon pot continue to grow flowers. This is my first year with them and want to give them the best for next year. I added a few pictures for all of you to see.

TwistedPomegrante_side1.jpeggroup.png

The photo below was taken Nov. 5 2022
group_11:22.pngtwisted_11:22.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is a great chat. Now that a few years passed since the last post I was wondering if any of the pomegranate bonsai people from Chicago grow them under lights in a warm house during winter? or is it better that they get some cold and go dormant?

I have 2 different pomegranate trees I acquired this year. One is a twisted trunk that is in a bonsai container already. The others are in a 5 gallon nursery pot with multiple trunks.

I currently have my trees inside and the one in the 5 gallon pot continue to grow flowers. This is my first year with them and want to give them the best for next year. I added a few pictures for all of you to see.

View attachment 461929View attachment 461930

The photo below was taken Nov. 5 2022
View attachment 461931View attachment 461932
I am not a Chicago person but am from IL. I keep my pomegranates inside under lights and they do fine and bloom throughout the winter.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not a Chicago person but am from IL. I keep my pomegranates inside under lights and they do fine and bloom throughout the winter.
Thanks Carol, I appreciate your reply. This is what I wondered. I was curious which one was better for the trees. My is currently blooming and I keep taking off about 5-10 flower buds a week.

Attachments

• Pomegrante_flowerbuds11:22.png
    Pomegrante_flowerbuds11:22.png
    734.7 KB · Views: 7

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks Carol, I appreciate your reply. This is what I wondered. I was curious which one was better for the trees. My is currently blooming and I keep taking off about 5-10 flower buds a week.
When I read about them, the overwintering temperature they suggested for dormancy was just not something I could provide. My detached garage would be far too cold, so I made the decision to bring them in, with no ill effects.

Top Bottom