Ponderosa Pine borer

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I bought this ponderosa from Natures Way in Harrisburg, PA just a couple months ago. It was collected two years ago and has been doing pretty good. Yesterday i was looking over the tree and i found a small hole on one of the branches. There wasn't any sap around the hole yet, so it was very fresh. I dug around in the bark trying to find the culprit, but nothing that looked like a grub ever came out. I let it sit over night because it was getting to dark to see, and this morning i sprayed the tree down with insecticide. All i had was Bonide fruit tree spray, (its fine for evergreens too) do you guys think this might help? It's the only thing i had that i thought would work. I also put a napkin over the hole and sprayed it with the bonide, then covered it with some plastic wrap to really let it soak in. Ill take the wrap off tomorrow and take more pics. These are all i have for now. i posted two pics of the tree to show that it is a main branch that has the borer, it holds almost half the foliage on the tree, and if this branch dies i think the whole tree may go with it. Also the browning needles on upper right in the second pic is just the old needles. Im starting to get worried about this, ive never dealt with borers before. Can you guys recommend something to help get rid of this bug?

002.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
in ponderosa we usually excavate until we find the culprit and kill it... hopefully what you have done will work but other than finding it and removing it I am not sure what else besides a systemic you could try....

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Usually the browning of needles happens towards the Fall - that is the older needles on a Ponderosa will turn brown quickly and then you can pull them off. Only the lowest needles will turn brown - the ones furthest from the terminal end. The needles on your tree are turning brown evenly on the branch - so that is a concern. I do not doubt that you have found some type of small hole that some insect probably created - but this may or may not be the cause of your needles turning brown. Have you worked this tree since you purchased it ? Have you carved any jins in such a way that you put alot of pressure on the root ball ? If you applied to much pressure -you may have unknowingly snapped these tender roots. When a Ponderosa is collected and placed in a plastic nursery can - it may not be anchored as firmly as you would think. I can see a single wire around the trunk base and then thru the side of the plastic can - this may not be enough. So I wish you luck and hope that the tree makes it - but the browning needles are not a good omen. Tom

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not much for pines, at least keeping them alive. It seems to me that you could chop that branch right above the little branch below the napkin and start from there, I would think there would be enough foliage and as this is spring it would be the time to do it, it does look like that branch has something going on that is detrimental to its health though with those dying needles. I am sure there are more knowledgeable people here to answer your question than me, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Good luck with your tree.

ed

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I havent messed with the tree too much, only fertilizing and some light work. I only removed the bark on the jins, no real carving has been done yet. The roots should be fine, the tree doesnt move in the pot at all. And the dying needles aren't as bad as they look in that pic. It's only 3 or 4 old pairs. Ill take a pic of the branch to show it. I dug some more in the bark today and i believe i got the borer out, i cant find anymore trails under the bark. It must have fell out last night but it was too dark to see. Give me a half hour and i'll post more pics.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Here they are, as promised.

I took one of the browning needles, and i don't think there are any problems at all. There are only two little branches that are browning, the old pic makes it look like they're everywhere. They were like this when I got it, I think its just an old case of some sort of mildew. Its mostly gone, and what is left of it is going away quickly. Everywhere else the needles are healthy and green as ever. Im pretty sure the borer is out now, you can see the trail and where it stops. I think the tree is safe for now.
007.jpg
006.jpg

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looks safe... and doesn't seem to have been the typical borer you see on Ponderosa... they usually only attack much larger sections of the tree...

you should inspect other areas to ensure his friends haven't moved in... (i doubt you will find any more issues)

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Looks good now. I'd question if it was a borer given the time of year and the size of the tunnel/hole. Lots of things can put a little hole in a branch. I found a borer last year on a JBP and it was a very sappy affair. It just kept oozing. It should have started oozing right when it went in there. The width of the tunnel on mine was about 3 mm.
It felt good to kill it...
Ian
IMG_3136.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3119.jpgIMG_3142.jpg

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Looks good now. I'd question if it was a borer given the time of year and the size of the tunnel/hole. Lots of things can put a little hole in a branch. I found a borer last year on a JBP and it was a very sappy affair. It just kept oozing. It should have started oozing right when it went in there. The width of the tunnel on mine was about 3 mm.
Ian
View attachment 21745View attachment 21746View attachment 21747View attachment 21748

Im questioning if it was a borer too. The trail was short and i never found it. But there was a small trail. Watever it was it's gone now, I dont have to worry anymore.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ian
View attachment 21745View attachment 21746View attachment 21747View attachment 21748

How did you find that bug??

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
There was a hole that just kept ooozing sap and I was able to push a pine needle up it about 1.5 inches so I just flaked off the bark along the length of it until I got to the top and found the little bugger at the top of the tunnel. It'll take a while to get the bark back on this tree but that's okay. At least I got him. The branch was nearly girdled and still might die.
Ian

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, you really had to go after that one! lol I do hope it makes it!!

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ian

I'm curious if you know the exact species of the colloquially known pitch borer? Here in Seattle we get them most commonly on Ponderosas and less commonly on shore/lodgepole pines. I have never seen one on a JBP, JRP, or scotch pine. The infamous mountain pine beetle is much smaller, right?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best way to prevent pine borders in the first place is to get rid of all dead pine trees in the area. The dead trees attract them. Then they hit the stressed or compromised trees. You know,the ones with wounds or weak root systems. Think bonsai.
They usually don't go after healthy trees.

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does deadwood on pines post a problem for borer attraction to bonsai then?

Top Bottom