Ponderosa (?) problem...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't even know that this IS a ponderosa. We got it in Nevada about 12-15 years ago for a potted tree for the front yard.
It has never been repotted. It is in lava and some potting soil as I recall.
Never been wired, pruned, or anything.

This year the needles are coming out in bunches. All dry, brown and withered. The rest of the tree is a nice green but for these needle groups.

I'd just do a repot but don't want to at this time of year.
Any diagnoses of what it might have or be doing?

I've sprayed for spider mites but it's still progressively failing.

???????pond1.jpgpond1.jpgpond2.jpgpond3.jpgpond4.jpgpond2.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pine tip moth is what it sounds like. Try cutting the dead needle cluster off at the point it started growing (last year's needles) it'll more than likely be hollow and you'll find a borer residing inside. SQUISH IT!!!

Aaron

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cannot help with condition but do not believe to be Ponderosa. Seems more like Scots or Mugho. Does pot have drainage at all? Would be good idea to repot next spring;).

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My conclusion also. It's very slow growing and about 5 feet tall. It has never really "filled out" and looks to me like it did 12 years ago.
Who knows?
It will get a repot next season and see from there.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My conclusion also. It's very slow growing and about 5 feet tall. It has never really "filled out" and looks to me like it did 12 years ago.
Who knows?
It will get a repot next season and see from there.
For the time being, i would slip pot to a larger container. Poke some holes if possible in the existing root ball. Tease a few roots out the sides and place better material around the outside. just to slightly improve conditions until a proper repot can be accomplished at the right time of year. Adjust watering to reflect the two different root zones by allowing the pot to soak in water for a few minutes occasionally as well as normal watering that will drain through the outer edges faster.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's in a very large garden pot. Probably weighs close to 80 pounds or so. Thought about the slip pot but not having looked below the surface, I'm afraid it could become an "excavator" pot operation. :eek:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Would it be of any beneficial use to try poking holes from the top to maybe aid in aeration? There's a good chance it's "drainage" but that would take getting ALL of it out.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would it be of any beneficial use to try poking holes from the top to maybe aid in aeration? There's a good chance it's "drainage" but that would take getting ALL of it out.
Yes it would if possible. I mentioned that in the first post. The holes will help ensure the moisture distributes through the root ball and allows some aeration as you suggest. Avoids a dry core.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes it would if possible. I mentioned that in the first post. The holes will help ensure the moisture distributes through the root ball and allows some aeration as you suggest. Avoids a dry core.
I misunderstood. I thought the holes you suggested were to be into the root ball AFTER getting out of the pot.
I'll try POKING some through the surface.

:)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welllllllll..... not the best sign.
I had some pointy rebar and drove it in around the pot and it did NOT feel like there was any compacting.
It hit a couple places that felt denser than others, but overall it went in like I would expect it to on any of my bonsai potted pines.

:confused:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it makes any difference at all, I believe I made an error in calling it a Ponderosa.

Up til now, I've thought it was a LODGEPOLE pine. No idea why "Ponderosa" came out of my keyboard.

And maybe even that's wrong. We got it as a souvenir of a trip when we went through a nursery in Fallon, NV.

:confused:

Top Bottom