Ponderosa Problem

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Hello, this is one of my first ponderosa's from nature's way this year. Seems to have some funky white growth on 2-3 buds on the lower part of the tree. Like i said, never had a ponderosa before now, so is it a fungus or an insect? And how do i destroy this pest? Thanks a bunch. As a side note, it is doing really well. Collected in the fall i believe, and its pushing new growth everywhere, and roots are coming out of the nursery can.

Patrick

Attachments

• Ponderosa 1.jpg
    Ponderosa 1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Ponderosa2.jpg
    Ponderosa2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 83

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like the floss i have been brushing off an apple tree.

I think it's procuced by a mite of some sort,i don't know why or how.

It will burn releasing a dew that i recollect was sticky.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patrick, if it were in the southeast I would say it's Woolly Aphid egg cluster, not sure in your area. Squeeze a clump between fingers and see if there is a colored fluid. Take a soft brush and clean it off, and spray insecticide to control larvae. If there is browning at the base of the needles then it's probably some insect.
Wood

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patrick, not sure I've seen this on either one that I brought home. I'll have to take a closer look, it could be present on a smaller scale. Getting the trees healthy and dealing with the "goodies" the trees came with is paramount for me at this juncture. I don't have the experience, but reasons such as this are a big part of why "they" tell you to wait at least a couple years, I imagine.

Dave

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These are clearly wooly aphids. The best treatment is in late winter with a diluted mixture of lime sulphur and water all over the tree. Then the creatures don't appear usually. But since they are there get yourself an insecticide. The best is some which is based on Pyrethrum, which is a natural poison. Spray according to what the description says. Not less not more. Another solution which can be used in addition is to spray with an oil dilution. This is also available in garden centers and is NOT poisinous. If you cannot find it use oil form the kitchen, dilute it with pure water and spray it into the heart of the needle pads. The creatures will suffocate. The tree does not mind.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Awesome calle, Walter. Ive always heard of this technique on hemlocks. Never knew what the wooly aphid looked like though. Surprisingly, all the insects are dead today. Just used some peanut oil with water, and blasted them. Problem solved.

Top Bottom