Ponderosa Yamadori Trip Report

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There were some really nice pinon up there. I bypassed them because I haven't had any luck in the past. That and they can take a while to recover. At least that's my understanding. Have you had much luck with pinon?

I've had some luck with sprouting pinion from seed. have not yet tried pinion from collected material. Seedlings are "generic" in their over all pine appearance. won't look like much for decades.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just an idea, if you're going to the trouble of scouting large areas maybe get a GPS tracking app? then you could retrace your route.
Think there is a way mark specific locations on google maps too, although I've not tried it.
I have been using caltopo.com to create maps for backcountry skiing. And arcgis for work. I'll then upload those to my Avenza app. I found that spot by just driving around until I saw some pine on a ridge top. Unfortunately I only had a road map that day. Next time I head out, I'm bringing the arsenal of maps out. Thanks for the suggestion

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using caltopo.com to create maps for backcountry skiing. And arcgis for work. I'll then upload those to my Avenza app. I found that spot by just driving around until I saw some pine on a ridge top. Unfortunately I only had a road map that day. Next time I head out, I'm bringing the arsenal of maps out. Thanks for the suggestion

:eek::oops:o_OHoly Cow! Way beyond me;).

thatdirtykid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its a necro bump, but I am researching Ponderosa yamadori as I have access to some family land that has a lot of Pondies. I am probably going to scout and mark some this late summer/early fall and head back up in march.

That's irrelevant (unless you want to give me unsolicited tips). Relevant to the conversation, have you looked at your pictures data? I am not sure about pinpoint accuracy but I just looked at some photos in known locations while out of service and the geotag seems to be within at least 250', likely closer. If you had success with the tree you brought home it may be tempting to find a couple of those. Some serious beauties out there! Thats assuming you were using a camera phone and haven't turned off the location setting on photos.

Top Bottom