Portulacaria afra - Trunk base has different texture + white fuzz

Jinx

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello!

I've gotten this bonsai tree a few months ago as a gift so I am still new at taking care of it. I am a little concerned about 2 things and I would appreciate your help/advice on them!

First Problem:
I've noticed that the base of the trunk looks a lot more flaky/shriveled up compared to other parts of the plant (seen in Image 1).
When I got the bonsai tree, I thought it might have been because of the water from the soil was in too much contact with that part of the truck. But it started to grow more upward and seems more shriveled up/darker than before (more close up in Image 3 + 4).

I have heard of Cork Bark Jade (Portulacaria Afra) but I'm not sure if this bonsai tree is a cork bark variety. I am also thinking that it might be trunk rot. Any ideas what it might be?

Second Problem:
Recently, I've noticed that there are white fuzz near the bonsai tree's trunk/roots (seen in Image 5, 6, + 7). It seems like a mold/fungal growth from overwatering.
I'm not sure if I should just sweep the white fuzz things and soil away from the base of the tree and expose the widening trunk base where the roots spreads out. And possible use Neem Oil spray to make sure the white fuzz doesn't come back.
OR
Repot the bonsai tree in dry soil and remove any root rot that it might have

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Image 3.JPG
    Image 3.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Image 4.JPG
    Image 4.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Image 7.jpg
    Image 7.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 91

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The white looks like mycelium, likely harmless. The rest doesn't look concerning.

What does look concerning is the foliage, the tree is stressed and shedding it's newest leaves. Any way you could get it in the sun or in some really bright light? They're sold as indoor trees, but to be grown as a bonsai they really need the max photosynthesis from the sun.

Jinx

Seedling
Reaction score
The white looks like mycelium, likely harmless. The rest doesn't look concerning.

What does look concerning is the foliage, the tree is stressed and shedding it's newest leaves. Any way you could get it in the sun or in some really bright light? They're sold as indoor trees, but to be grown as a bonsai they really need the max photosynthesis from the sun.
I've heard that Portulacaria Afra are very sensitive to temperature change. So I think having it moved from one house to another house is probably what made it stressed and lose most of it's leaves. I am using a sansi grow light bulb (which I was told it worked well in it's previous home).

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Based on what I see at the base of the trunk I think the bottom part was burried below the soil line before it was potted in this pot.

I'm not sure about the white stuff but be careful because Portulacaria is know to have problems with mealy bugs.

Jinx

Seedling
Reaction score
Based on what I see at the base of the trunk I think the bottom part was burried below the soil line before it was potted in this pot.

I'm not sure about the white stuff but be careful because Portulacaria is know to have problems with mealy bugs.
Would the base of the trunk heal and look more like the rest of the trunk? Because it seems like it’s slowly spreading/getting worse looking.
I’ve heard about that too. It doesn’t seem like the plant has mealy bugs. But I do want to get rid of the white fuzz as soon as possible just in case.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It appears that this plant is in free draining material, so that’s good. I would give it a soak with a hydrogen peroxide/water mix to be safe. Then let dry out for a while.

Jinx

Seedling
Reaction score
It appears that this plant is in free draining material, so that’s good. I would give it a soak with a hydrogen peroxide/water mix to be safe. Then let dry out for a while.
Thank you for the advice! I’ll soak it in hydrogen peroxide/water mix when it’s becomes completely dry.

Top Bottom