Possible Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) Fungal Issue?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Whats the temperature in there? If it stays above 40 I would do it.

Thanks for the input... The problem is I will be in Japan for most of February, so I won't be able to look after it if/when we get a real cold snap, otherwise its like this: Welcome to Oregon

1673546098289.png

I can probably leave the greenhouse closed with the heater on, and someone is watching the house. What do you think? I would pot it into a cement mixing tray with bonsai soil.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Its iffy. Ive never had to deal with freezing temps, so I’m not gonna have good advice. But, the soil is definitely a problem in these redwoods.

I would recommend not potting into a cement tray though. They flex when moved and that can be damaging to roots.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the input... The problem is I will be in Japan for most of February, so I won't be able to look after it if/when we get a real cold snap, otherwise its like this: Welcome to Oregon

I can probably leave the greenhouse closed with the heater on, and someone is watching the house. What do you think? I would pot it into a cement mixing tray with bonsai soil.
Nice stump redwoods guys, but shocked these are all looking peaked!

Outside would be best unless one has a cold greenhouse. If so, there shouldn’t be a need for a heat pad. There are four redwoods growing out in pots here, up potted yearly. All pots are mulched in and around with bark on the garden bed in sun, but protected from the North wind (which is the direction the icy weather comes in). Same place for four winters now.
We likely experience a tad more severe cool weather than you have down in OR.

EFC626EF-6A0C-45D9-B638-B77DEDE6F299.jpeg

Most concerning is the mucky non draining soil reported. I do two things in these cases… if the tree is declining - as a bridge to repotting.

Knock the tree out of the pot and see what’s going on (the bottom third esp.). Sometimes the bottom is filled with fines. Replace with a draining layer. Check drainage.

If the rootball is solid, clay, or root bound, get a long 3/16 or 1/4” drill, and gently drill down through the rootball a number of times, let the drill find its way. (Some folks I know use rods, chopsticks etc to poke through). Back fill with small pumice etc.

Repot ant appropriate time.

Sounds crazy? It works. I’ve used this technique on JWP, JBP, JWP, Satsuki, Maple and numerous other trees received in trouble. All are alive and flourishing.

Just a couple thoughts.

Good Luck!

cheers
John sends

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice stump redwoods guys, but shocked these are all looking peaked!

Outside would be best unless one has a cold greenhouse. If so, there shouldn’t be a need for a heat pad. There are four redwoods growing out in pots here, up potted yearly. All pots are mulched in and around with bark on the garden bed in sun, but protected from the North wind (which is the direction the icy weather comes in). Same place for four winters now.
We likely experience a tad more severe cool weather than you have down in OR.

View attachment 468330

Most concerning is the mucky non draining soil reported. I do two things in these cases… if the tree is declining - as a bridge to repotting.

Knock the tree out of the pot and see what’s going on (the bottom third esp.). Sometimes the bottom is filled with fines. Replace with a draining layer. Check drainage.

If the rootball is solid, clay, or root bound, get a long 3/16 or 1/4” drill, and gently drill down through the rootball a number of times, let the drill find its way. (Some folks I know use rods, chopsticks etc to poke through). Back fill with small pumice etc.

Repot ant appropriate time.

Sounds crazy? It works. I’ve used this technique on JWP, JBP, JWP, Satsuki, Maple and numerous other trees received in trouble. All are alive and flourishing.

Just a couple thoughts.

Good Luck!

cheers
John sends
Thanks for your input. My gut feeling is to do the bare minimum until true Spring when I can do a true repot. I like your idea of simply lifting it and adding a better drainage layer/remove large pockets of bad soil and replace with pumice without touching the fine roots. If I do a full repot now, the tree will not grow and will just sit there for two months and possibly decline more.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great plan. That will yeild a lot of actionable information.

Redwood repots here are in late Frb, weather dependent, so you are about the same as us.

Cheers
DSD sends

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I went out during lunch break and popped it out. It was not as bad as I expected but the bottom third was muck and the very bottom was packing nuts.

The problem with this dense soil is there will always be a moisture gradient where the top is dry when the bottom is still soaking wet.

So I popped it back in the same pot with pumice on the bottom and edges. I chopsticked it in. Just trying to get air in there . I did not mess with the root ball but removed a couple sections of dense soil. Its on a heat pad. I am just going to forget about until March!

1673555422616.png
1673555434402.png
1673555446224.png
1673555403143.png

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
95% sure mine is toast. It was looking very promising up until a few days ago. Lots of new strong looking buds all over. Once they popped they all dried up and died 😔 going to keep it under a bench and mist it but I doubt it will do much. I’m pretty disappointed.

2022 will be known as the year I spent over $600 on two stumps. Not trying to be a hater, but I think this will be my last purchase from Bob.

Hope everyone else’s survives!

Last edited:

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have buds swelling on mine. The weather has been really weird here lately though, it snowed at my house the other day. In Southern California…

I hope the tree pulls through alright for ya @Bricker918

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
@Bricker918 Very sorry about your trees. Let's go dig our own redwoods. I believe the lime-green coloration on the trees we got was a hint that something was not right. I was told this was "genetics". There were dark green ones that are closer to how they usually look and perhaps these just had no root issues.

I didn't take a picture of my tree but after my semi-repot last month, and not watering at all while I was in Japan for 3 weeks, my tree looks exactly the same (a good thing). I will do a full repot in another month. I'm actually planning to put it in the ground for a few years to build taper and regain strength.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
@Bricker918 Very sorry about your trees. Let's go dig our own redwoods. I believe the lime-green coloration on the trees we got was a hint that something was not right. I was told this was "genetics". There were dark green ones that are closer to how they usually look and perhaps these just had no root issues.

I didn't take a picture of my tree but after my semi-repot last month, and not watering at all while I was in Japan for 3 weeks, my tree looks exactly the same (a good thing). I will do a full repot in another month. I'm actually planning to put it in the ground for a few years to build taper and regain strength.
I’m so down, that would be a lot of fun. @Ruddigger we wouldn’t dare! Name the time and place I’m there!

Thats interesting about the color, I thought it was genetics as well. Maybe not.

Glad everyone else’s is doing good, they’re beautiful trees.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The way these burnt out, and the bright green growth, makes me think these were fertilized too heavily. The new growth pushes too fast and dies off sometimes.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking good! I had no doubts your tree was healthy.

I think ours with the lime green foliage at purchase had some issue for sure. Mine is still declining slowly. It is in the ground now so I hope it turns a corner and darkens up.

Top Bottom