Potential World Class Tree? #2

Potential World Class?

• Total voters
Reaction score
May I ask one question? Is this a Tanuki Bonsai? Something about it seems that way. Please take no offense. I'm seeing a 2D photo to over first hand visual.
No offense taken, I truly understand the reasoning behind such a question and it good to ask. It is not. Buttonwoods, which this tree is, are awesome trees in regards to still having the ability to sustain life off of a single small live vein, they also have great properties in rolling over this live vein, which will as the vein begins to grow, will often grow over the top of the deadwood. So, your question is a legitimate one.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Are there any good pics of buttonwoods in their native harsh environments? My personal views of extensive deadwood trees have been weather beaten old high mountain trees such as juniper, pine and fir. It makes it tricky for me to critique a low, warm climate tree like this when I'm not familiar with them in their natural state.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No offense taken, I truly understand the reasoning behind such a question and it good to ask. It is not. Buttonwoods, which this tree is, are awesome trees in regards to still having the ability to sustain life off of a single small live vein, they also have great properties in rolling over this live vein, which will as the vein begins to grow, will often grow over the top of the deadwood. So, your question is a legitimate one.

Understood...thanks for the explanation. That along with the wire that to me seemed to be holding it together then the confusion with trying to picture the angle it naturally was planted before collection. To get a feel of what it may have looked like prior to collection.
Assuming current angle was not original to the planting. If I can connect the dots...maybe I might understand your vision.For I can't mentally picture how it once grew. Which is my hardest hurdle with it I think.

Reaction score
Here a couple of Buttonwoods that I just pulled off the internet real quick.
They will often grow in any variety of ways... and according to the first image, one could even entertain the idea of a miniature swing hanging off of one of the branches!

42823999_6524.jpg 109060254_vZl79L6X.jpg

buttonwood.jpg
bonsaimania.jpg

Reaction score
Are there any good pics of buttonwoods in their native harsh environments? My personal views of extensive deadwood trees have been weather beaten old high mountain trees such as juniper, pine and fir. It makes it tricky for me to critique a low, warm climate tree like this when I'm not familiar with them in their natural state.
Ask an you shall receive!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks. The last pic makes me want to go rent a tree spade!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stacy, I dont need to explain it to you or anyone else.

If you cant look at some of the trees that Walter and Ryan have (NOTE I say SOME. I wont imply that ALL of their trees are world class potential) and see the differences between them and the 2 you posted and why, then there is nothing I can say that will make you understand.

Examples posted here: http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/world-class-trees-imo.20925/

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stacy,

isn't that the problem with buttonwoods, leaves too large ?
Also for us, the trunk of your Internet images is how we more frequently find buttonwoods. Often no white wood.
Additionally for us they are dome with domes beauties.

It's a beautiful tree but I think the white wood is a mistake. Too much juniper envy. I would go the white wood way with the Pemphis.
Even then that is also a beautiful tree.

We recently found a smaller of leaf tree, looks like a buttonwood cousin, grows on the seashore as well. Now experimenting.

I think the beauty of the Buttonwood is still to come.
Good Topics
Good Day
Anthony

* What can you do with a seagrape ?
Looking for secrets.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
salty wine

Lotta that going on around here!

@sawgrass . Following my thoughts of each climate here having its own big 3 trees.

I think you have what it takes to be a defining factor down there!

I'd love for you to share your thoughts on any of my threads, Please!

I wish EVERYONE UNDERSTOOD WHAT THESE THREADS ARE ABOUT!

Can you state enough, you don't believe it is world class, and, does it have the POTENTIAL, to be................................

We could all learn so much if........
Forgive me for trying to reincarnate that beaten horse!

Sorce

Reaction score
Stacy,

isn't that the problem with buttonwoods, leaves too large ?
Also for us, the trunk of your Internet images is how we more frequently find buttonwoods. Often no white wood.
Additionally for us they are dome with domes beauties.

It's a beautiful tree but I think the white wood is a mistake. Too much juniper envy. I would go the white wood way with the Pemphis.
Even then that is also a beautiful tree.

We recently found a smaller of leaf tree, looks like a buttonwood cousin, grows on the seashore as well. Now experimenting.

I think the beauty of the Buttonwood is still to come.
Good Topics
Good Day
Anthony

* What can you do with a seagrape ?
Looking for secrets.
The deadwood we usually have on our buttonwoods is grey or white to even tan/brown depending on it's exposure to the sun.

The leaves on some of my B-woods have reduced down to an inch long. And could probably go smaller with more ramification.

As far as possible style, anything goes... one can find examples of just about everything.

Have not worked with seagrape, think Carp has... if not contact Erik Wigert, he has done a lot of work with them. Some variety will reduce down very small. I don't recall seeing any as bonsai fruit though?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Poink taken!

Last time I heard that!

That's why I thought Poink was like 13 for a while!
Grimmy too!
Lol!

Sorce
Chalk it up to hanging with youth a lot. I try to not use the word "like" as often as I speak it in real life. My husband will interrupt me and ask..."Like what!?!"

Reaction score
Wanted to add one more thing regarding the use of Lime Sulphur, seeing this was brought up with this tree and the other tree posted..

For me I am not a fan necessarily of lime sulphered wood... but do see it's potential use. Often I will use it on trees to help add a different tonal value. A lot of trees I have their is not really a separation in these values between what is live and what is dead, so this helps to achieve this. Although when I do go to display a tree with it, I will often work this "whitewood" look down to something more natural looking, but still has the contrast needed.

During the times of not being shown, I will not bother to much with it's appearance due to the fact that it is not being shown. The photos of both these trees were taken during a time of the trees obviously not being shown.

I will apply sulpher even if eventually when shown the area might instead be completely changed in color to something more of a black, like in a uro... it is easy to adjust, takes very little time to do, and in the meantime, I have found that the sulpher often helps deter insects like termites and carpenter ants. Will not prevent rot.

Top Bottom