Potomac Bonsai Association Show and Sale, May 6-8, 2022

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to try to get up there that Saturday. Really want to check out the North American Satsuki Bonsai Center's stuff. Also very glad to see an old bonsai hand back at it. I used to buy soil and stuff from John Howle in B'more 25 years ago as Black Pines Nursery. His place was in Dundalk, Md. He's back as Victory Bonsai Nursery.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I dropped my Japanese larch there for the club show yesterday, I'll be there on Sunday around 2:30 to check it out and to pick the tree up.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I went Friday had a great time. It was nice chatting with folks - I’m really interested in joining the Northern VA Bonsai society. Picked up a cotoneaster, trident, Chinese elm, dawn redwood, and a Japanese larch from Meehans & Superfly. Hope the rain doesn’t scare people off!

Attachments

• 7961AF4B-1AE6-407A-A2CE-395D376A9AC4.jpeg
    7961AF4B-1AE6-407A-A2CE-395D376A9AC4.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 102

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went up on Friday at noon...rain took a merciful pause for about two hours. Got a few pics of the collection. Rain forced me into the vendors' tent where I was forced to buy a satsuki... 😁 BTW, Rick Garcia at North American Satsuki Bonsai Center is a great resource. I talked with him for a while about satsuki. He is hugely knowledgeable. He showed me the pre-publication galleys of his upcoming book on Satsuki care and development. First in a planned two-volume set. Pretty thorough with detailed info. From the look of it, a lot more than any of the Satsuki books currently out there. Due to be published in the next month.

Attachments

• arb1.jpg
    arb1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 86
  • arb2.jpg
    arb2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 68
  • arb3.jpg
    arb3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 73
  • azalea2.jpg
    azalea2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 73
  • azalea1.jpg
    azalea1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More...Rain was a problem getting to see the trees, It alternated between mist and downpours. Taking pics with a phone in a downpour is dicey.

First photo is the Yamaki Pine (BTW, the redesign of the Japanese pavillion is spectacular--with huge rocks, granite plinths, tsubo-niwa plantings and other touches). Second photo is the huge Zelkova from the original gift of trees from Japan in 1976. It's four feet tall and has been a bonsai since 1895. The third is the equally huge trident maple given as a gift by Prince Takamatsu in1976. It's also a bit in excess of four feet high and was started from a seeding in 1895. Fourth is a huge forest planting of Chinese quince in the North American Collection. Gift of former curator Warren Hill. In training since 1975

Attachments

• arb4.jpg
    arb4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 69
  • arb5.jpg
    arb5.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 64
  • arb6.jpg
    arb6.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 62
  • arb8.jpg
    arb8.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 60
  • arb7.jpg
    arb7.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 74

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're on Facebook, the PBA posted many photos of the event, from the vendor tent to the exhibitions and demos

Also a blog post about display, includes pic of at least one of the trees in the PBA show at the festival.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you're on Facebook, the PBA posted many photos of the event, from the vendor tent to the exhibitions and demos

@ABCarve I think I saw a photo of Les in the group of pics they posted

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Picked up this natal fig from a nice couple from New York. It needs some thought about where to take it from here but I love that it already has some aerial roots coming down.
20220510_131303.jpg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
More...Rain was a problem getting to see the trees, It alternated between mist and downpours. Taking pics with a phone in a downpour is dicey.

First photo is the Yamaki Pine (BTW, the redesign of the Japanese pavillion is spectacular--with huge rocks, granite plinths, tsubo-niwa plantings and other touches). Second photo is the huge Zelkova from the original gift of trees from Japan in 1976. It's four feet tall and has been a bonsai since 1895. The third is the equally huge trident maple given as a gift by Prince Takamatsu in1976. It's also a bit in excess of four feet high and was started from a seeding in 1895. Fourth is a huge forest planting of Chinese quince in the North American Collection. Gift of former curator Warren Hill. In training since 1975
Yeah I had to swing by first thing Friday @ 10am to visit before work. The rain was abysmal and my pictures are terrible, it was just downpouring when I was checking out the show trees.

But I got an early crack at the vendors and picked up a pair of (to me) very nice starter Bald Cypress

1652402526345.png

1652402428902.png

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Is this a show worth vending at? Say if you had pottery ahem. 😉

Top Bottom